• Register Today It's free!

Transmission mis-shift

RandyH2

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited AWD
I've had this happen at least 5 times now in ~2000 miles. At around 40 mph (?) the transmission will do a quick, hard dip into the next lower (higher rpm) gear before shifting into the appropriate gear. Has anyone else experienced this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not happened to me.

Can you provide more info on when this happens? Going up/down hill? Hard accel? Carrying a load/trailer?

It is flat around here so everything has been on relatively level ground. Just casual acceleration, not under full or even 2/3 throttle. No tow load involved. The last time was at around 40 mph, I can't say for sure on the other incidents though they were all at more than 5 mph and less than 60- with that gap being intentionally large and not implying that it has happend at 6 and/or 58 mph.

When it happens, it reminds me of having a gear slip on my bicycle and then a quick recovery. There is a definite jerk to the system when it happens.

RandyH2 & 1995E, this is a concern I would want to see resolved also, and I would be happy to help if you’d like. From previous messages, I have your Explorer’s details, so feel free to drop me a line if you would like me to assist.

Cory

Thanks Cory. For now, I'll just "keep an eye on it". If it continues, or increases in frequency/severity I will let you know.

Thanks Cory. For now, I'll just "keep an eye on it". If it continues, or increases in frequency/severity I will let you know.
OK, I understand. I’m glad you know what options you have if the issue continues.

Cory

Nothing wrong with my tranny but I was actually thinking once I get 3000 miles and go full synthetic motor oil, I was thinking of going full sythetic tranny oil...

Royal Purple ATM oil? Maybe that would improve shifting on yours?

When I was under the car to do motor oil change, i noticed another train plug that i am guess is tranny and hoping it's just as easy to just open/drain/refill but I dont have a manual. On my Z06 it's more complicated without a drain plug.

Thanks Cory. For me, it's when I try to accelerate a bit harder to speed up or something. It happens on any surface from flat to a hill. It just feels like the acceleration is not in sync with the input I put on the pedal. Kind of like it has a set RPM it will go to or something at however much throttle I put in instead of the acceleration rising as I push down the pedal.

When I have to push the accelerator a bit harder, it drops to a lower gear and the car hits it to 3 - 4k RPM.

Thanks Cory. For me, it's when I try to accelerate a bit harder to speed up or something. It happens on any surface from flat to a hill. It just feels like the acceleration is not in sync with the input I put on the pedal. Kind of like it has a set RPM it will go to or something at however much throttle I put in instead of the acceleration rising as I push down the pedal.

When I have to push the accelerator a bit harder, it drops to a lower gear and the car hits it to 3 - 4k RPM.
You’re welcome. I can imagine that would be a bit disconcerting. Thank you for posting those details on what you’re experiencing. I also replied to your private message, so check your inbox in case you haven’t already.

Cory

I had this happen only when I tried to accelerate a bit harder.
That sounds like a normal downshift operation. Mine does that when I start to accelerate when on the highway on ramp. I find that the 6 speed transmission tends to do this while my former Highlander with a 5 speed did not downshift under the same circumstances. The Highlander with the 3.5 engine and 5 speed had much more 'get up and go' without having to stomp on the gas.

That sounds like a normal downshift operation. Mine does that when I start to accelerate when on the highway on ramp. I find that the 6 speed transmission tends to do this while my former Highlander with a 5 speed did not downshift under the same circumstances. The Highlander with the 3.5 engine and 5 speed had much more 'get up and go' without having to stomp on the gas.

I agree. I monitored this today and felt that the transmission kept downshifting. Downshifting = higher RPM = less MPG. Why does the Explorer downshift? Is it to make the engine not work as hard? Never experienced this in any of the cars I've ever driven, most of them Fords.

Back