• Register Today It's free!

Transmission or torque converter?

anthonymtz

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys hows everybody doing? Well I have a question for you guys and was wanting some input, I have a 2004 Ford explorer 4.6L v8 2wd, thing is when I bought it this truck was mint, 6yrs ago w/ 120k (174k now) on the dash it drove good nice take off, now i have a lead foot, and sometimes put my explorer to work, towing someone/ moving stuff, maybe a little racing, just a little ;) anyways the issue here i was able to light my tires up with no problem i mean i could smoke them in less than 10 seconds, now i try and burnout and sometimes it won't and others it'll get going and spin them slow like its struggling for about 20 seconds and then you hear it start revving up and just lights the darn tires up like crazy, also when i take off it feels as im in 2nd gear and as im taking off you feel 3-4 small little jolts almost like your hitting the brake lightly, so my question is would that be my torque converter acting up or my transmission or both? I have also been changing fluids, nothing bad in the pan, fluid is always a light brown with a hint of red whenever i do drain it. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Back