Trans or torque converter?

sport97

Elite Procrastinator
Reaction score
City, State
connellsville pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport SOHC 4.0
I'm experiencing an issue where when I pull out from a stop it feels like I'm starting in 3rd gear. The motor runs smooth it just bogs really bad like it's in a high gear or I was towing 7000 pounds. Its kinda of intermitent when it happens. Usually when it does it the car will shudder at idle. When power regains it feels like it downshifts or the converter unlocks or something like that, it just has power instantly. The entire time I was 4 wheeling it felt like I was riding in a high gear, it had no power. Once I was on the open road and opened it up it was fine again.

Also sometimes around 50mph or so with a mild engine load the car will start "chugging" like if you bog down a high gear in a stick. And usually when I get off the gas in OD there is a thump sound from the trans area (been doing that for 40k miles though)

I was told maybe the trans isn't downshifting to 1st sometimes? I've also been told maybe the T.C isn't unlocking making it feel like a high gear. Thoughts? I have no idea how the T.C and auto trans work.

Back