• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Overheat

hillikus

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
So my wife was towing an empty 5x10 utility trailer at about 65mph during a hot day(today in DC) and all of the sudden the O/D light starts blinking and it says Transmission Overheat. She was towing with O/D on, which I know you're not really supposed to do.

02 Eddie Bauer with 4.6 towing package, 149k on the clock and the transmission fluid has never been changed. I took it in to get it changed and was told it was in perfectly fine condition. We don't tow much(2-3 times a year for 15-20 miles max), and the truck has not been abused. We're supposed to be towing my motorcycle 450lbs on a 1000 mile trip starting tomorrow. I'm having the fluid changed tomorrow and they are also checking for a blockage of the flow of coolant to the transmission.

Would this have damaged the transmission alot in the brief few minutes she was driving like that? She's been driving for 1:40 minutes but it just started saying that and I had her shift out of O/D now and it is no longer saying that.

I guess what I'm wondering is should I be worried about leaving tomorrow for our trip from PA to WI towing a trailer and is there anything else I should have the mechanics(really good mechanics) look at tomorrow while it is in the shop? Thanks a ton guys. I really don't want to leave the bike home but if needed I will.

Have them add a good transmission cooler to your truck if you can. That will certainly help.

for an 02' there already is a transmission cooler, its between the A/C condenser and the Rad near the bottom. Very hard to see but if you pull the plastic cover up you can see it. With this design the trans fluid doesn't go through the Rad like before, its has its own stand alone cooling. . .

Might want to check if the fins are clogged with bugs etc. . .
with the O/D off the trans doesn't do any work. . .

adding a cooler (especially since the existing one failed to keep it cool) would still be a good idea.
Also towing without your OD engaged is also another good idea.

Back