• Register Today It's free!

Transmission problem

vieirajoseph

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT 5.0L V8
I was looking under my hood trying to solve one problem and found another BIG one. I have transmission fluid in the coolant reservoir and in the radiator!! I need to know where to start the process of fixing this....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your radiator has failed. Replace it and have the tranny flushed.

Not such a big problem...

Transmission Flush

I have ordered a new radiator, but I have been warned in the past about flushing a transmission. I was told that flushing the tranny could wash away helpful buildup and cause it to start slipping. How true is that??

I have ordered a new radiator, but I have been warned in the past about flushing a transmission. I was told that flushing the tranny could wash away helpful buildup and cause it to start slipping. How true is that??

Helpful build-up? Hmm.......The concern here is that radiator pressure is still present after the engine is off (no fluid pressure in trans.), may allow coolant to back-up through trans. cooler line into trans. Antifreeze/water bad in trans. imp

fingers crossed

I got a new radiator and successfully installed it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will solve my problem. I am curious though, when I was changing the radiator out, I only disconnected 2 hard lines and changed the 2 hoses. I still dont understand how transmission fluid gets into the radiator. Does the tranny fluid go through the radiator through one of those hard lines?
I ran out of daylight, but I plan on flushing the transmission tomorrow. Thanks for the advice and help guys...

yes the trans. fluid goes into the radiator.. its what helps keep the trans. fluid as cool as possible.

I still dont understand how transmission fluid gets into the radiator. Does the tranny fluid go through the radiator through one of those hard lines?.....

The radiator end tank contains a tubular capsule, a heat exchanger, through which the trans. fluid flows, entering from one tube from the trans. and returning to it through the other.

The effectiveness of this set-up is only good when the trans. fluid temperature is higher than the coolant temperature in the radiator, so the trans. fluid temp. is usually at least 195` or so, depending on how hard the torque converter is working.

When trans. fluid is found in the engine coolant, it means the in-tank heat exchanger has sprung a leak, which requires replacement of the radiator.

Later model Explorers, I think beginning with Gen. 3, not sure on that, do not use the in-radiator cooling method for the trans. fluid, but rather a little "radiator" of their own, stuck in front of the main engine radiator. This means the in-coming air does the cooling, and it's never as hot as the normal running engine coolant temp.! imp

Flush the tranny,if it fails from a proper flush it was junk to begin with.I have done my 94 at 120,000 then took it for a week at Moab.That was over a year and 20,000 miles ago.I also did the 2000 with 175,000 on it and it works fine.

Don't believe that nonsense about not flushing,just make sure it gets done at a reputable shop.:D

Back