• Register Today It's free!

Coolant in the Transmission...

CobraSix

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT 4x4
One of the 99 explorers I was looking at had a little history behind it.

It's a eddie bauer, V-8 AWD with 81k miles.

I talked to the guy about it's history. Apparrently they got it from the 2nd owner to fix after their appeared to be coolant in the transmission fluid.

I'm guessing (since I don't have the systems memorized for the 2nd gen) that it's similar to my explorer where the transmission fluid runs through a portion of the radiator. If that is correct, it would seem to me that the radiator must have rotted out on the inside or was just defective.

They replaced the radiator and the transmission (with a new transmission, so less than 100 miles on it now) and are selling the car since the owner didn't want to deal with it.

My question is about possible ramification of such a problem? Is there a problem with transmission fluid having gotten into the coolant and possibly causing other problems. The explorer appears otherwise to be in great condition. Fully loaded, low miles.

Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You hit the nail on the head with the rad.

Ask if you can take it for a fairly long test drive (hour or so). If there are problems more than likely they will show. I cant see how problems would exist from the previous repair. As long as they put a good trans in it then your all set.

Bring cash with you so they know you arn't going for a joy ride.

I'd say take that and run. I'd be willing to bet the old transmission was fine. Especially being as it is a V8 and those transmissions are nearly bulletproof in this application. So you got a new trans, and a new radiator out of it. And with such low miles it is definitely a deal.

They said they didn't bother putting a rebuilt transmission in, just put a new transmission and new radiator.

I just wanted to check to make sure this was not an indicator of a more serious issue. I will however pay close attention to rust, but I'm willing to bet that the radiator probably developed a crack due to improper coolant mixture.

With that low of miles on the vehicle, I'm gonna guess it sat for a long time at one point and perhaps there was too much water in the coolant causing the inner tank in the radiator to corrode or freeze and burst.

You could make sure the coolant is a healthy green color along with the transmission fluid being the healthy pink color. I say if it runs good, feels good, drives good, do it. Perhaps the previous radiator was just a fluke as well.

If you don't mind, how much is he asking for it?

$4500

I had the same problem happen to my 95' Sport. Had coolant mixed with tranny fluid in the radiator and overflow, ended up having my tranny rebuilt and the radiator replaced.

Back