Transmission questions...

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
So my Explorer has had some transmissionish problems, or it seems that that the transmission is the problem. A delay in acceleration, and jerking into 2nd or 3rd gear, along with a slipping or slamming into the same gear. I am not entirely certain what transmission I really have, but I believe I have the one that is in my Specs sheet on the site here.

Enough rambling, I am contemplating, doing a change of the fluid, many people on here said that they did that with the transmission I have, or think I have, and that the problems have gone away. On the other hand all the older mechanics my dads know, have said to me not to change it because it will not move again. I have almost 162,x.. miles on it now, on what I assume is the stock fluid, not sure because I have only owned the truck for a year and a half.

So I am sort of at a standstill here, not sure on what to do, or even what brand of filter to go with, I am thinking WIX filter, when/if I get one. I would really would like some input here. I am also thinking of changing the transfer case fluid, before winter hits here, is it true that it takes ATF fluid? if it does, I may just change it this Sunday, it is suppose to be 60 degrees and sunny.

So my main questions are how do I identify the transmission I actually have. Should I change the fluid, and what could really be the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah definitely change that transfer case fluid. And check the vent tube. Reason I am bringing this up is some of those units came with just a vent cap, not a real hose to high ground. Put some fresh ATF in there.

Yeah definitely change that transfer case fluid. And check the vent tube. Reason I am bringing this up is some of those units came with just a vent cap, not a real hose to high ground. Put some fresh ATF in there.

Is the vent tube easily seen? If I have just the cap, should I rig up a tube, or is there a mod for a real hose. I honestly know nothing about transfer cases, or transmissions, I have never had a problem with any, or if I have it was the time for the vehicle to move on. I know what they are, and sort of how they work, I just though there where way to complicated for me. SO regular Mercron ATF will work in the Transfer Case then, if so that is great because I have about 5 quarts in my garage.

From your description of the way the transmission shifts I think you've already got bigger problems than worrying about changing the fluid.

But I'd still flush it and change the filter. I had a friend with an 89 Chevy Silverado 4X4she bought new. In 1998 she complained it was slipping on hills. It only had 40,000 miles on it though. I did a complete fluid change, including the torque converter, filter changed, and the problem went away. Might work for you too.

But with your mileage and possibly original fluid, iffy.

There is a sticker on the drivers door. Look for the TR in the lower right corner. For my 96 4.0 the code under the TR is T (4R44E) I have an early (4/96) Explorer. The also used another trans in the later part of 96, I think it is a 4R55E. But look for that sticker and it will give you your answer.

on the door sticker under TR you should see a U code which is a 4r70w
This may not be your problem but thought i would share mine. Hope it helps.
I have a 1996 awd 5.0 with the 4r70w trans. there is a problem with the 1-2 accumulator spring that breaks and causes delayed and hard 1-2 shifts.
Mine was broke . After replacing the parts needed I installed a new filter and refilled with mercon V after i repaired the trans it shifted smooth and solid into all the gears and has been doing great for the past 2k miles.

These are the parts i ordered from oregon performance transmissions to fix mine

SONNAX AODE, 4R70W 1-2 ACCUMULATOR SLEEVE & PISTON -SNX-76890-01K

TRANSGO FORD AODE 4R70W SHIFT KIT - TRG-SKAODE

Back