• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Range Sensor issues?

SensRanger

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ranger XLT 4x4 Xcab
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has any input to my issues...I think I have a problem with the Digital Transmission Range Sensor (DTR) on my truck. Its a 96 Ranger auto 4wd. This is what I found about the range sensor :

"Digital Transmission Range (DTR) Sensor

The DTR sensor is located on the outside of the transmission at the manual lever. The DTR sensor completes the start circuit in PARK and NEUTRAL, the reversing lamp circuit in reverse and the neutral sense circuit (4x4 only) in NEUTRAL. The DTR sensor also sends a digital output signal to the powertrain control module (PCM) indicating the position of the manual lever (P, R, N, D, 2, 1)."

I think mine has an intermittent fault or something, maybe. This is because I have problems with 3 areas that use inputs from the range sensor:

- the reverse lights do not always come on when the transmission is in reverse. Wiggling the shift lever will fix it.
- The truck sometimes will not start (not even crank), usually after sitting for a while. The problem is the "neutral safety switch" function of the DTR, it doesn't recognize truck as being in Park or Neutral, so won't let it start. Turning the key to On, hitting the brake and shifting to R and then back to P usually fixes it. This has been going on for 8 months, and before, I would just wiggle the shifter rather than actually shift out of Park. But eventually this stretched the shift linkage cable and it got all messed up, Park was impossible to find, as the P position was reverse. "R" was "N", "N" was "D" and so on. Was very hard to start for a while. Finally fixed the cable at the dealer, and the starting problem went away...for a while. But the reverse lights were still 50/50 if they would come on.
- The biggest issue, No 4x4 Low range. I tried replacing the Transfer Case Shift Module but no change. Maybe the DTR is not sending the right signal that I am in N when trying to shift to 4 Low? 4x4 high works perfectly.

Anyone have any ideas- similar experiences, how to test the DTR sensor, where to get a new one (dealer only??), other possible causes for these issues?
Thanks!!!

WWW.TransmissionPartsUSA.Com sells them. Your 96 does not use the digital version. The digital one was used in 98 according to a post from 410Fortune. Did you try to realign it? There are a couple of adjusting screws which have to be loosened up, then tightened. There is a special alignment tool for it, but it's not absolutely necessary. Try to realign it, then see if your reverse lights turn on. Test it to see if it still starts in park.

- The truck sometimes will not start (not even crank), usually after sitting for a while. The problem is the "neutral safety switch" function of the DTR, it doesn't recognize truck as being in Park or Neutral, so won't let it start. Turning the key to On, hitting the brake and shifting to R and then back to P usually fixes it. This has been going on for 8 months, and before, I would just wiggle the shifter rather than actually shift out of Park.

I've got this same problem in my 97 ex limited. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Back