Transmission rebuild what tranny do I have? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission rebuild what tranny do I have?

cwlorentz

Reaction score
City, State
Lowell, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
I have a 96 4wd Explorer XLT. I dropped pan to repair P0756 Solenoid error and found pieces of the intermediate band in pan. Ido need to completely rebuild tranny? What transmission model do I have? My local NAPA gave me a list of 4 possibles. I need to know which one to order rebuild kit. NAPA offers a rebuild kit, plus I would need to buy a Trans Band seperately. Is there a specific kit I could get that would include everything I need.

Perhaps I could just replace the band is this possible without replacing seals and friction plates.

I see there are a lot of threads here to rebuild transmission. I assume that it is possible.

Is there a good manual for me to buy? This will be my first trans rebuild. I have rebuilt motors and done body work. The vehicle still drives we just have to skip over 2nd gear.

I will be looking for alot of info during this project and this seems like a great place to get the help I am going to need.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I grew up in Doylestown. Now I live in Michigan. How can I confirm the tranny model #, I don't want to get a bunch of the wrong parts. Thanks

Read the manual it tells what engines have which model trans. 4.0 V6 engines have the 4R55E
The parts are the same for both

96 uses 4R55E transmission with 4.0L engine.

Sorry if I was wrong, I was quoting from the ATSG manual. It was a typing error, I didn't check close enough

Thank You

I have confirmed that I have a 4R55E tranny I have downloaded the manual and am ordering the Master rebuild kit. It looks like a slow and exacting process to do the rebuild. I am going to make sure I start with a clean garage and no grandkids visiting. Looks like a ton of small parts. There are a few tools listed in the manual are there any that I should definitely purchase or borrow?

Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing! I have a 96 4.0 V6 that is having tranny issues as well, and I'm looking for a replacement. This thread was exactly what I needed to help me get started in my search!!!!

Thanks guys...I was wondering myself and you answered my questioning.

Back