Transmission rebuilt now having issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission rebuilt now having issues

shanevas2

Reaction score
Ok so a customer came to me and asked for the transmission to be rebuilt in he 93 explorer.(a4ld) She was just trying to make it last a few more months. The thing was totally trashed, metal everywhere in it, and she said he had been screwed for 2 years she just kept changing the fluid. Well I rebuilt it, But I did not replace the tq converter since she was just trying to get by for not long. Well having the new fluid un jumbled the tq converter which in turn I guess caused a wobble and the oil pump seal went out. Sooooo I pulled tranny and replaced the tq converter and seal for free. Well at the same time I put in the reverse servo extender pin and rebuilt the valve body. (There was a lot of metal shavings in it) Now back together, when driving in drive4 and drive 3 it will not shift on it's own. When I manually put in 1st and 2end it does shift though.Also the reverse was not working. So I pulled it apart cleaned the valve body out, made sure everything for shifting was not jammed. Put it back together and now the reverse is working, but it is still not shifting in drive. Now I would think the governor but it was shifting before. 1 other thing is she said just before the seal went it was shifting from 1-2 late. Any ideas? BTW this forum has been a great help for all the other matters I have had with this. I specialize in imports, so I have been using this site to help quite a bit with this rebuild.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well crap no one has anything? I think I am going to pull the back section off and hope the governor is sticking. If not guess new valve body.

If anyone reads this it was the gov. Guess just bad timing like everything else on the car.... Now window will not go up... lol

when you cleaned the valve body, did that make reverse work? did reverse not engage at all before?? having the same issue,....

If the reverse is not working recommend replacing the revers servo seal. Yea was not engaging before, just replacing the seal fixed it.

Im taking the vb off of my truck, as for the other one i did, the reverse band slipped out of place. took 2 flat head screw drivers to get it back into place. Works great now.
havnt gotten into mine yet.

Back