Transmission Service/Flush Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Service/Flush Questions

2000black&gold

Reaction score
City, State
Carrollton, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer
Hello everyone,

I have recently started pulling an enclosed trailer, and am therefore looking at doing some transmission service. Today I received a B&M aux cooler for the transmission as well as the external filter kit from Summit Racing. Also, I have a 2000 Eddie Bauer Explorer 5.0 AWD, so I'm assuming this means I have the 4R70W.

Forgive me if I have overlooked this information, but I have read, read some more, searched, and searched some more. I am simply trying to clarify before I start the work. After installing the new parts, I'm planning on dropping the pan and putting in a new filter. After that, I'm planning on flushing the transmission using Al's way (disconnecting the from transmission hose and letting it pump out a quart while I add a quart through the dipstick).

I am planning on using Mobil 1 ATF, and am gonna buy 20 quarts to be safe. I have heard that the 4R70W's torque converter has to be drained separately... is this true?

Also, will the new fluid that I add into the pan after the filter change not get pumped back out during the flush?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you drop the pan to change the filter, drain the torque converter and tap into the cooling lines to add the external filter and cooler, then you probably have aready drained 95% of the old fluid. When you get it all buttoned back up, add about 4 qts of tranny fluid and bump the engine to get the tranny to pump it into the rest of the system, add, bump, add, bump. If you don't run the engine a little as you fill it, fluid will run out the overflow tube.

Anything you will add will get pumped out.

So what's the best way to go about dropping the pan and changing the filter, AND flushing the system?

Drop the pan, replace the filter, then disconnect one of the lines. Keep adding, and draining fluid while you start, and stop the engine. You will need 2 people for this.

Ok, so after replacing the filter and putting the pan back on, I do NOT add any fluid, I just immediately start flushing the fluid, correct?

Sorry if I'm making something easy seem difficult, I just want to make sure I do this correctly and don't mess anything up.

Keep a bucket under the hose coming off of the cooler which is disconnected from the transmission's return (top fitting). Keep adding, and removing fluid while the engine is on. # 52 in my list of useful threads has information for more transmissions: http://transmichigan.com/html/cooler_line_id.html

Back