transmission shifting problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transmission shifting problems

so when changing the MOD should i also do the vacume line at the same time or will it clear its self out/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can clean it out if you want, leave it, who cares.... change it if the rubber is really bad, only a short portion of the line is rubber.

not to change the topic..

i'm new to this forum and don't know how to post..
here's my problem..i have a 1997 ford explorer xlt. has a 4.0 ohv automatic trans with over drive. it is 4wd 8th number on Vin is x if this will help.. OK now the problem is we was out driving and i turned in a ally that went up and was steep i slid in rwd so i engaged the 4wd hi. it made a weird noise but went in and went up slow while i was accelerating..? so i finally toped the hill and went around and came up it again to see if it would act that way again...answer no it did fine..well we left that spot disengaged 4wd and proceeded home a couple block's away..i pulled in my drive way and pulled up to the house a little to far..i put it in reverse and it didn't move so i gave it some throttle and it acted like it wanted to pull forward.?? so i put it in neutral it took off forward..?? i was stumped as it's never done this before.i put it in park and revved it a little and it acted like i was power braking it and rocked forward..every gear goes forward but i had to push it backward's out of my drive way shut off in neutral but when i started it in park it jumped forward when it started.i put it in drive with o/d on and it drove fine put it in neutral at a stop sign and it drove but acted like i had it in first gear but wouldn't shift i put it back in drive it done great..stop put it back in park and it did the same thing as earlier..i'm confused don't have a lot of money and it's our only vec. so anyone understanding this or has had this before please help..

well its my daily driver so quit a bit. so i found a modulator here in canada for 55.50 or 25.00 but i need to know what tanny i have. its a 94 explorer xl how can i found this out.

well i changed the mod and still no change. even when i put into 2nd gear its still in 1st. what is there next to check, something i can do myself. I dont want to put much money into it, that part just cost me 55.00 and it wasnt the problem. Ideas???

After reading posts all morning, I am going to adjust the bands. Now where is that sticky!

so i thought i would pull some codes off the truck to see if anything would come up for the tranny and this is what i got. key on engine off, 539-system shows voltage at pcm pin 10 is A/C on?, 336- PFE sensor signal is/was high. with the engine running, 538- system did not receive "goose"test- TESTS, 536- brake on off open or shorted to ground.

Now im not sure what these mean any help on them would be great!!!

PFE sensor signal high, as in DPFE, as in EGR. Since it isn't throwing any other EGR related codes, clear it and see if it comes back. If it does, check your DPFE and see if it is bad.

Any of my pre-96 service CDs aren't working on windows 7 for some reason, so I can't give you a lot for troubleshooting these codes. You should check pin 10 on your PCM and see if you are actually getting voltage, unless you did have the AC switched on or something....

Best thing to do is to clear the codes and attempt to repeat the test to see if you get the same results

Sorry I can't help much, most of what I tell people on here is from memory, and I am not great at remembering DTCs

i'm new to this forum and don't know how to post..
here's my problem..i have a 1997 ford explorer xlt. has a 4.0 ohv automatic trans with over drive. it is 4wd 8th number on Vin is x if this will help.. OK now the problem is we was out driving and i turned in a ally that went up and was steep i slid in rwd so i engaged the 4wd hi. it made a weird noise but went in and went up slow while i was accelerating..? so i finally toped the hill and went around and came up it again to see if it would act that way again...answer no it did fine..well we left that spot disengaged 4wd and proceeded home a couple block's away..i pulled in my drive way and pulled up to the house a little to far..i put it in reverse and it didn't move so i gave it some throttle and it acted like it wanted to pull forward.?? so i put it in neutral it took off forward..?? i was stumped as it's never done this before.i put it in park and revved it a little and it acted like i was power braking it and rocked forward..every gear goes forward but i had to push it backward's out of my drive way shut off in neutral but when i started it in park it jumped forward when it started.i put it in drive with o/d on and it drove fine put it in neutral at a stop sign and it drove but acted like i had it in first gear but wouldn't shift i put it back in drive it done great..stop put it back in park and it did the same thing as earlier..i'm confused don't have a lot of money and it's our only vec. so anyone understanding this or has had this before please help..

WHen you post on the forum, on the page you want to post on, in the top left section it says new post.

Check the cable that links the tranny to the shifter, it will be on the tranny. Have someone shift the gear and check under the truck where the tranny is. You will find the cable moving. Then have them shift into park. Disconect the cable from the little shifter thing on the tranny, move the thing on the tranny all the way to park ( the way it was moving to park when moving the gear selector in the car and re hook it up.

I had the bands adjusted in my tranny and theres still no change. i would love for this truck to go into 2nd gear normally if its going into 2nd gear at all still not sure lol. what should i check next?

well, you are at the point where your only options are clean the valve body out, check/service the governer, and change fluid and filter. Since you have to drain the fluid to do either of the other two, you may as well do both.

Back