Transmission slams into gear when shifted from park to reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission slams into gear when shifted from park to reverse

Philbilly

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
When I shift from park to reverse my 2017 Explorer XLT 4WD has a 10-15 second delay before it engages into gear and backup camera doesn’t come on. I have 50,000 miles and it’s still under warranty and Dealship put me on the waiting list for service because they only have one transmission technician.I’ve checked the transmission fluid level and it’s okay. I’ve gone through the shifter motions a few times thinking maybe it’s a fluke. No fluke,now the little wrench light comes on the message center and says see manual. Has anyone had this problem happen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Since the warning came on it may have stored a fault code. This is all the Manual says;
1631122190331.png

This is the only other threads I found but it doesn't mention a shifting issue. New 2016 Ford explorer AWD powertrain light on and off

Peter

When I shift from park to reverse my 2017 Explorer XLT 4WD has a 10-15 second delay before it engages into gear and backup camera doesn’t come on. I have 50,000 miles and it’s still under warranty and Dealship put me on the waiting list for service because they only have one transmission technician.I’ve checked the transmission fluid level and it’s okay. I’ve gone through the shifter motions a few times thinking maybe it’s a fluke. No fluke,now the little wrench light comes on the message center and says see manual. Has anyone had this problem happen?
We are having same problem, started around 50k, was at dealer 7 times, replaced vavle body 5th time in. Did not fix problem no dealer says its normal, and they cant do anything because it dosent have a fault code...Took to another dealer to see if they can figure out. It dosent do it everytime tho, seems like every few days then it stops for a day or so, then slams again....

the problem my explorer had was one of the snap rings broke 3-Reverse drum. the transmission had to be rebuilt

We are having same problem, started around 50k, was at dealer 7 times, replaced vavle body 5th time in. Did not fix problem no dealer says its normal, and they cant do anything because it dosent have a fault code...Took to another dealer to see if they can figure out. It dosent do it everytime tho, seems like every few days then it stops for a day or so, then slams again....
Please keep us updated on what the other dealer finds out. Thanks.

Peter

the problem my explorer had was one of the snap rings broke 3-Reverse drum. the transmission had to be rebuilt
This is a semi-common issue. the 3-5-R drum has been known to have the snap ring go, and no one has been able to pinpoint what causes it. It happens to new transmissions, old transmissions, tuned cars, untuned cars, when towing, when not towing, etc.

There has been no rhyme or reason as far as I've (or anywhere else I've researched) been able to discern...

Here's a mountain of info regarding the 6F50 & 6F55 if you'd like to look it over. The slide deck is pretty interesting and makes for a good read while you're pinching one off...

This is a semi-common issue. the 3-5-R drum has been known to have the snap ring go, and no one has been able to pinpoint what causes it. It happens to new transmissions, old transmissions, tuned cars, untuned cars, when towing, when not towing, etc.

There has been no rhyme or reason as far as I've (or anywhere else I've researched) been able to discern...

Here's a mountain of info regarding the 6F50 & 6F55 if you'd like to look it over. The slide deck is pretty interesting and makes for a good read while you're pinching one off...

explorer has been at dealer for 3 days and they cant duplicate problem. I know as soon as we pick up it will do it again. Not sure what to do, another 1k miles and we are out of warranty....Im afraid we are gonna have complete failure soon....Any suggestions?

Please keep us updated on what the other dealer finds out. Thanks.

Peter
At dealer a different dealer for 3 days, they haven't been able to duplicate the problem, im gonna show em the post about the snap ring. Any one know whats involved to get a look at that snap ring? Is it a major tear down? or is it eaisly accessed.

did it slam every time going into reverse, ours is intermittent and no light comes on...

At dealer a different dealer for 3 days, they haven't been able to duplicate the problem, im gonna show em the post about the snap ring. Any one know whats involved to get a look at that snap ring? Is it a major tear down? or is it eaisly accessed.
Complete teardown. I posted a link to a Sonnax slide deck that can give you an idea of where it's located in the trans.

explorer has been at dealer for 3 days and they cant duplicate problem. I know as soon as we pick up it will do it again. Not sure what to do, another 1k miles and we are out of warranty....Im afraid we are gonna have complete failure soon....Any suggestions?
If you plan on keeping the vehicle long term, you may want to check into getting a Ford ESP. Ford ESP at dealer cost to forum members

Peter

Back