• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Shift to Park Warning

FordService

Official Ford Rep
Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Good luck with that! There are members who have replaced it themselves. As it is a known issue, you may get some help but I wouldn't count on it. You can always PM FordService to see if they can assist.

Peter
Thanks for suggesting us, Peter! :thumbsup:

I am now getting the "shift to park" message again after having my shifter replaced once before in April 2014. I'm now out of warranty and do not want to pay for it. This has to be taken care of by Ford. It's frustrating.
I understand your frustration, ctmhou. Have you taken it back to the dealer for the message? Please send me a PM with your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer. I'll check out available options.

Rachel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Collin84

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer limited
Took my explorer in today for a lot of the common issues.

I'm curious why they would quote me 1 hour to diagnose the shift to park issue when it is so common there is a tsb for it?

I get the feeling they are going to send it back saying they cannot duplicate the issue.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST

I'm curious why they would quote me 1 hour to diagnose the shift to park issue when it is so common there is a tsb for it?

I get the feeling they are going to send it back saying they cannot duplicate the issue.
Some dealers do it because if they can't duplicate, Ford does not pay for their time (1 h I urge minimum). I choose not to do business with those dealers (I have 1 near me) when I am under warranty.

Follow my steps on how to duplicate if they claim to not be able to. My dealer was the same way until I got the service manager in the seat and did it for him.

If they duplicate it, there should be no fee if under warranty. A tsb is not a recall, they do not just replace a part on a customer's word that it is happening.

Collin84

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer limited
Some dealers do it because if they can't duplicate, Ford does not pay for their time (1 h I urge minimum). I choose not to do business with those dealers (I have 1 near me) when I am under warranty.

Follow my steps on how to duplicate if they claim to not be able to. My dealer was the same way until I got the service manager in the seat and did it for him.

If they duplicate it, there should be no fee if under warranty. A tsb is not a recall, they do not just replace a part on a customer's word that it is happening.
I'm aware that a tsb is not a recall but it shows that it's a known issue and in this case it is a know intermittent issue. It would be poor business practice to charge the customer $133 diagnostic fee on something that comes and goes that they are aware of. Also, in my case it is a 3rd party warranty paying for it so it is not on ford's dime.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I'm aware that a tsb is not a recall but it shows that it's a known issue and in this case it is a know intermittent issue. It would be poor business practice to charge the customer $133 diagnostic fee on something that comes and goes that they are aware of. Also, in my case it is a 3rd party warranty paying for it so it is not on ford's dime.
3rd party warranties do not pay for diagnostic time so in general, you will usually pay for the first hour of labor even with the 3rd party warranty. That is why 3rd parties are not good warranties to have.

Collin84

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer limited
3rd party warranties do not pay for diagnostic time so in general, you will usually pay for the first hour of labor even with the 3rd party warranty. That is why 3rd parties are not good warranties to have.
It's ally major guard. It pays diagnostic once the problem has been verified.

FordService

Official Ford Rep
Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level

How did it go at the dealer, Collin84? Let me know if they were able to duplicate the issue, as well as your current mileage; I'll check out options on my end.

Rachel

Collin84

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer limited
It's ally major guard. It pays diagnostic once the problem has been verified.
How did it go at the dealer, Collin84? Let me know if they were able to duplicate the issue, as well as your current mileage; I'll check out options on my end.

Rachel
Thanks for the response. Just heard from the dealer and they said it needs an upper shock mount, backup camera and a gear shift assembly. I'm assuming they were able to verify everything. The bad part, the warranty company wants to send out an inspector to approve the repairs before they will pay. Looks like I'm stuck with a rental car until at least Monday.

FordService

Official Ford Rep
Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Thanks for the response. Just heard from the dealer and they said it needs an upper shock mount, backup camera and a gear shift assembly. I'm assuming they were able to verify everything. The bad part, the warranty company wants to send out an inspector to approve the repairs before they will pay. Looks like I'm stuck with a rental car until at least Monday.
You got it, Collin84! What's your current mileage? I'll see how I can best assist; I know it's tough to be separated from your normal ride.

Rachel

Murphjup

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Anyone have a link for removing and replacing the shifter assembly? TIA!!

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3

Murphjup

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Thank you Peter, I will take a look anything you learning during the process you could pass along? Thank you again!

Murphjup

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Peter, What parts of the console did you have to remove to replace the shifter, I wouldn't think you have to remove the entire console to do so?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
Peter, What parts of the console did you have to remove to replace the shifter, I wouldn't think you have to remove the entire console to do so?
I didn't have the Shift to Park problem.

Murphjup

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Well i had some time this morning and was able to change out my shifter for my 2012 Explorer Limited with a New shifter for this problem.

I reviewed the console assembly here...

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/s420/2011-06-11_013157_2011_explorer_floor_console.pdf

All I did was remove the 7mm rear Bolt that holds the shifter surround. Along with the bolt the surround is attached with fours push clips. I put the shifter in the rear most gear. You lift on the surround it will unsnap from the attach points. the shift boot is clipped in the the chrome trim ring, I used a small screwdriver to release the clips. I also pulled the side panels away from the console by just pulling on the panels toward the top of the surround to help with access to the surround. You are then able to lift the surround rearward and remove it from over the shifter. The Shifter postion light strip is on the left side of the surround and basically uncliped itself. which helped me move the surround over to the right. I then released the two rear wire clips and was able to move the surround more over to the right, so I was able to access the shifter.

I removed the shifter cable by prying it off its stud with a screwdriver. I then removed the four 8MM shifter attach bolts. then I had to undo the shifter cable from the forward of the shifter assembly. The shifter cable is attached to the shifter assembly by a nylon ring which slides into the assembly. You release this by releasing the locking catch at the upper U shaped cutout, which I did with a narrow screwdriver, and pulling the cable towards the left as you do, it will slide out of the shifter assembly.

The next thing to do is just release the wiring from the shifter assembly by releasing the catch and pulling the connection apart.

I installed the new assembly in reverse order. As well as the shifter boot and the console surround. Then pushed the side panels back into position and installing the rear surround 7mm bolt.

All in all the job took my about an hour. I am halfway mechanical and I didn't think it was that difficult. Sorry, I didn't have time to document it with pictures.

If you have any questions regarding this please PM me would be happy to help anyone trying to replace the shifter themselves.

:)

Last edited:

tome

Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
Does anyone have instructions for opening up the center console in a 2011 Explorer (Limited) to gain access to the shifter? I want to investigate, and possibly replace, the shifter mechanism.

It is doing the "Shift To Park" thing after putting it in park. After some investigation I see that this is a common problem and Ford recommends replacing the entire shifter. There appears to be a small Omron brand reed switch that moving the lever to park engages but I suspect the problem actually likes in the mechanical plastic parts that trigger that switch rather than the switch itself (they are usually extremely robust switches). Anyway, I want to disassemble and look at the mechanism and switch but I can't seem to find good (or any really) instructions on how to do it in this vehicle.

My dealer tells me it is a $175 part and between $160-$220 in labor for them to do it so I suspect it isn't all that difficult...

Thanks,
-Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
First, welcome to the forum.. there is a ton of info here and just about every question you can think of has been answered here.

Please use the "search" feature of the forum before starting a new thread so we keep like topics in the same thread for organization.

Thanks