Transmission would not shift into drive what is the deal?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission would not shift into drive what is the deal?!

95EXP4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago,IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT 4x4
This problem happened to me for the first time last saturday my truck would not shift into drive from park and I almost had to get towed home. After 20 minutes of steam coming out of my ears it finally shifted into drive. It appears that the brake lights were not working and when it did work it flickered on and then shut off really quick. Is there a switch that is not being activated when the brake lights are not working? It seems I can only get it to shift if I constantly pump the brake pedal. I checked the trans fluid and the level was fine. What could it be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you mean the shifter would literally not move into the drive postion?

And the brake lights weren't working?

That means that the BOO switch has failed and it won't send power to the relay which allows your shifter to move. It's a safety feature.

Not shifting into drive

Mine's doing something similar - If I don't let it warm up the shift lever goes to "D" just fine but the tranny acts like it's in nuetral. I found that giving it a little gas makes it engage. Only seems to do it in the morning after sitting all night. It's not like it's getting real cold since I'm in Phoenix. Any ideas? Would it be the BOO switch on mine as well?

Re: Not shifting into drive

Originally posted by Overkil
Mine's doing something similar - If I don't let it warm up the shift lever goes to "D" just fine but the tranny acts like it's in nuetral. I found that giving it a little gas makes it engage. Only seems to do it in the morning after sitting all night. It's not like it's getting real cold since I'm in Phoenix. Any ideas? Would it be the BOO switch on mine as well?
No. Yours is exhibiting classic signs of a worn out tranny.

Originally posted by Jason_25
Do you mean the shifter would literally not move into the drive postion?

And the brake lights weren't working?

That means that the BOO switch has failed and it won't send power to the relay which allows your shifter to move. It's a safety feature.

Brake lights work and intermittently shut on and off. To be more specific the trans won't shift out of park. How much is the boo switch and is that exactly what it's called?

Re: Re: Not shifting into drive

Originally posted by Jason_25

No. Yours is exhibiting classic signs of a worn out tranny.

....Or low transmission fluid level:)

Re: Not shifting into drive

Originally posted by Overkil
Sorry man...your tranny is going to go out. My Buick did the same thing. Move the shifter to drive, and you press the gas pedal and it revs up but go nowhere... :mad: The tranny was dead. Clutch wasn't engaging. The hydraulic system wasn't working correctly. Think a seal blew somewhere.

95EXP, the BOO is short for Brake ON OFF. It's a swtich located near your brake pedal that turns on when you hit the brake. If the GEM does not see that switch as "on" when you go to pull the lever out of park, it wom't power the module that releases the shifter.

Check it to see if the wires going into it are loose. Also, there may be a way to troubleshoot it in the haynes manual.

Back