• Register Today It's free!

Transmission

jar2187

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 EB, 96 limited
Last friday during work my transmission decides its going to stop working. (The truck didnt have overdrive when I bought it so we knew the transmission was on its way out. The truck now has 171,000+- miles on it, I got the truck with 142,000 miles on it so I put roughly 30,000 on it). I was just ready to pull out of our parking lot when, I went to accelerate and the engine just reved. A few guys helped me push it out of the way and, we left it there over night. My dad brought his tow truck down and we took it to his shop. He got it to move but only at high rpms. So this morning we are going to put a used transmission in that haas 89,000 miles on it. I only need this truck for a little while, while we fix the 96 and get it back on the road. And then I am going to sell the 92. It will be nice to have something to drive again, and not have to depend on people for rides. Its funny how somethings are taken for granted.

sounds like the torque converter?

The lack of 4th gear was probably a plugged 3-4 shift solenoid, common and easy fix. I cannot easily explain why one day you have a trannie and the next zip. It is usually a line pressure/control pressure issue... often valve body related.

Back