Tread wear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tread wear

I'm having trouble with unusual tread wear. About and inch of tread is being warn off very rapidly on both front tires. I just replaced the tires and had them balanced but the same problem is happening again. It seems to me like the camber is off but nothing has been touched. It does have 116k miles on it with the original shocks. Do you think the shocks could be the problem?

If the shocks and/or other suspension components are bad it could throw your alignment off. This includes ball joints and various bushings. I suggest getting new shocks and everything else inspected, then getting an alignment. If your tires are really badly worn though it may be time for new tires.

I should also add that the rapid tread wear is about and inch wide at the very inside treads of the tires. The rest of the tread looks fine....

you have too much negative camber. no big deal, just have it aligned. your truck will go out of alignment for other reasons than just doing some mods. it is normal with any vehicle.

Back