• Register Today It's free!

trim help

roughrider17

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Last summer i painted the trim black, i used 1 coat of adhesive promoter, 3 coats of flexible bumper trim paint from Canadian tire, and then 1 clear coat after.

i painted it about mid way through last summer, and where i live we get ALOT of bugs, and so driving around ate straight through the front bumper paint and ive had to touch it up numerous times.

And now that winters almost done ivve also noticed that all the salt and dirt must have taken its toll on my trim as well

Does anyone else have this problem?I hear krylon fusion plastic paint is tough mixed with clear coat so i figure this summer ill have to do this again

Now does anyone know of a way to avoid this? it will be a huge PITA to do this often...
Thanks

Scuff it all down with simple green and scotch brite pads, one coat of thin primer, three to four coats of thin to medium thickness krylon fusion plastic paint with no clear coat, this allows you to touch it up if necessary easier. I've had mine done for a couple years and haven't had to touch it up at all and I've taken it through thick brush, rubbed against trees and rocks and driven through the road salt infested winters here.

When I did mine I pressure washed everything. Then washed it all with hot water and dish soap. Let dry in the sun for half a day. Sprayed it with about 10 VERY thin coats of Krylon fusion. I had to touch up my front bumper from bugs/rocks once after 2 years and every now and then when I scrape on something on the trails. Other than that it holds up excellent in my opinion.

Back