• Register Today It's free!

Trip Tunes for 2006's

torexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
T.O. (Toronto)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited 4.6 V8
Hi guys. It seems as though the 2006 Explorer is the odd-year-out model when it comes to Trip Tunes (the iPOD adapter).

According to the ford accessories website (www.fordaccessoriesstore.com), TripTunes is avail. on 2004-2005 Explorers only. For 2007, an "Aux" jack for MP3 players is standard.

What can '06 (like me) owners do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am replacing my headunit this weekend, but you can put in a wired FM modulator but you will need the antenna adapter because the antenna wire on this truck is non-standard. You can get one from Crutchfield.

Peripheral makes aux imputs and ipod controllers that will work with the 06 explorer as long as you have the mp3 radio with the sat button. Check the application guide for the product number.

http://peripheralelectronics.com/appGuides.asp

I play mine using the auxilary jacks on the rear DVD player. Sounds great cause its a direct connection and not FM modulated. The trouble with the aftermarket IPOD connections is you have to disconnect your rear DVD player or Sirius receiver in order to use them. The advanced trip-tunes allows you to control and display your Ipod info on the radio. All except the Navigation radio for now.

For the early 06 Audiophile systems you will not be able to control an i-pod or sat radio through the head uint. Best you can do it to get a set or RCA inputs... I have invesigated, badgered, harassed, and begged everyone that has knowledge on these radios, the early 06 radio was sent w/o the capability of controlling an aux device.

Too bad, I really wanted this.
http://oem-auto-accessory.com/fd_xm...or_new_style_ford_radios_with_aux_button.html

Wharriso, are you going to be able to use the steering wheel controls?

Wharriso, are you going to be able to use the steering wheel controls?

I don't have steering wheel controls, but there is a place for steering wheel controls on this unit. I can't tell you if they will work on yours.

Trip Tunes

Thanks to all of you for the lead on Trip Tunes. I read about this sometime back, asked a Ford Parts guy about it and was told "never happen". So, after reading this thread, I found the unit on the ford accessories site, and went to my local dealer. They actually had one for my 05XLT. I bought it, and now have to figure out a way to get it installed. A quick question to the service department techie indicated about $110 to install. Anyway, thanks for the info.
BW
"If it was easy, it wouldn't be any fun"

I'm caving in

I'm going to buy a new head unit-the Alpine CDA-9857. It will control my iPOD (with the song/artist display on the head unit screen) and it will also control my Sirius Sportster. It will take me a week or two to cough up the dough, but I think that I'll be happy.

On another note, does anyone have a "Bazooka" tube in their Explorer? I'm not a young kid looking for a major "thump", but my Ex's system lacks Bass. I'm thinking about an 8" or 10" tube.

Just Curious.

Tor,

I had an 8" bazooka in my Blazer, worked very well, filled in the lows nicely, no booming. My new Ex has the built in sub so no need for the zooka.

Thanks bojans

I'm also thinking about the Infinity Basslink 10" sub as well. I just found out about it. It is a little pricey though....

I just installed an aux input device (Peripheral Electronics PXDX2) for an mp3 player (not ipod) on my 06 XLT 6 disc changer and it's working just fine. Sounds a million times better than the FM transmitter I was using before!

Back