Buy or pass on buying 2006 models | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buy or pass on buying 2006 models

I am not going to argue that Explorers have numerous issues. If you can turn wrenches, those repairs can be done in the driveway, parts are relatively inexpensive and available. If you can't, then you'll pay $ 100 just to find out the issue every time something goes. There are millions of explorers out there, so mechanics see a lot of them in the garages just because the numbers work that way; 2% of hundred thousands will make the Explorers look bad even though Lexus may have same ratio of defects.
If your mechanic can point out a car or SUV that will not need repairs sooner or later, than I am not sure I would trust him.
Just my 2 cents.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Read Post 6.....
I worked at a Ford dealership as a Lot-Boy when in High School for two years. A Service and Parts manager (both guys worked for ford 40+ yrs each) gave me the best advice when buying a used car. Never buy a car the first year of that body style (generation). Always buy the last year of a Generation.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400528

I agree with that 90%. I do a lot of testing at my work (not cars), but in general, no matter how much you test, when you roll the product to "real" environment, the true testing begins with the actual users, and then manufacturer starts correcting the issues.

I am the exception I believe, my 06 was built November 2005, and I have 192k happy miles without major issues, save for the sparkplugs, and manifolds. It may change any day though.

Don't know, but I would consider 800 bucks to have a shop change spark plugs, or 1000 a side for a shop to replace exhaust manifold studs a major issue, but that is just me.

Yes, they are major. You can't even imagine the words coming out of my mouth when I was doing the sparkplugs and one of them broke in such way that I had to get on top of the engine and drill the head and put some type of bushing there. After that I was never going to buy Ford again. That was almost 100k miles ago. And lately, I replaced both manifolds, took me 2 days on my driveway, lots of cursing and other staff, and I was pissed at Ford so much again, but manifolds warp and snap the studs on other brands too.
But the bottom line is that for an average owner who relies on shops to do repairs, those car can get expensive quickly.

Back