Trouble filling gas tank | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trouble filling gas tank

That's the "fun" of owning an older car, as it ages and develops it's own quirks you get to know. :p
I have only had my xlt for a little over a month. I have had the problem and its really annoying. I hope its not all the time as it only happened once and I have filled up 3 or 4 more times. I have had 2 Fusions with the capless tank and never had a problem. My wifes 15 Escape has never had an issue. I have an older Mustang that has a gas cap and it does it sometime also. I think it just comes down to venting. Will try to ascertain if it happens more cold or hot as its likely vapor, ie: venting .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, I've been searching this morning and see many similiar issues with other generation explorers but haven't found any for the 20+. .........................................
Your thread was merged with this existing one on the same issue.

Peter

Hi, I've been searching this morning and see many similiar issues with other generation explorers but haven't found any for the 20+. I've got 25k miles on my 2020 XLT and the last 3 fill ups I've had trouble getting fuel in the tank at 3 different service stations. The pump immediately clicks off. I've tried pulling the nozzle slightly out and filling on the medium speed but it still takes several attempts and usually results in super slow filling by hand (can't use even the middle speed detent on the pump handle). Is this a filler neck issue?
I just had this (gas pump click stop) happen to me last Saturday. On Sunday evening, the check engine light lit up and Ford Pass said there was an issue with evaporative emission system. Went to dealer on Tuesday and they got the code from the scanner. They had to overnight a part to replace to try to diagnose the issue. They replaced the part the next day but when they did a test gas fill, same problem. Tech checked everything on the fuel system and did a smoke test, everything passed. Eventually they ordered a new fill valve and replaced that today, and the gas fill finally didn’t click off. $17 charge for the gas, everything else was covered under emissions warranty.

Here are the details from my write up
IMG_0062.jpeg

IMG_0063.jpeg

WOW, that's a lot of work, did it say how many hours involved?

I added this one to my list of things while the dealer has it. I'd forgotten about it, as it had become habit to back the nozzle out an inch or so before filling to get a full tank without interruption.

I would guess 12-14 hours. Dealer had my car for about two days - I brought it in on Tuesday morning around 10am, service advisor said they had to wait for a part and asked if they could keep the vehicle overnight. I needed to get home and they didn’t have a loaner, so I got my car back around 3pm and dropped it back off on Wednesday morning at 8am. Service advisor called at around 11am and said they replaced the first part but gas still clicks off, and they need to order another part. But this time they had a loaner for me, so they kept it overnight. Finally on Thursday around 3pm, I saw on the FordPass app that the service condition was green and my service advisor called to let me know the car was fixed and ready!

I added this one to my list of things while the dealer has it. I'd forgotten about it, as it had become habit to back the nozzle out an inch or so before filling to get a full tank without interruption.
That's what I was doing before too, had the big ring of the nozzle just outside of the filler neck ... never had the check engine light before.

Never a CEL here, either.
Will be calling the dealer today for an update, They've had the truck 3 weeks, waiting on getting it in front of their trans guy, all the rest has been done for about a week.

Back