• Register Today It's free!

Trouble starting

StevenGene

Reaction score
City, State
Roseville Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
Hey guys it's me again! Well, I have a problem. The other day I was driving my Explorer(2001) and the thing cut right off. Sounded like a loud puff of air then just shut off. So I had it towed home. I let the truck sit for a bit and then tried starting it again. Sounded like a loud pop and some smoke from the back off the engine, near the heat shield. So thought it was an electrical problem. Checked all the fuses,sensors, wire harnesses and everything seemed fine. So today I decided to take off the upper part of the intake manifold, to check my vacuum lines. Found one that was split straight down the center about 7 inches... Crazy right?? Replaced it an still nothing :/. But when I hit the gas you can hear some slight ticking not very loud but there was a little bit. Anyone have any ideas? Or has ever experienced this before?

:(

I should probably say that I haven't had any issues with driving it before this all happened. Also its getting a spark from the Distributor and its also getting fuel.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my late reply. I did a compression test on every cylinder. I have no compression in any of the cylinders! I took the valve covers off to check the cams and noticed that one of the rocker arms feels like its almost completely loose. All other ones where nice and snug. When I got the valve covers off i noticed that the right cam area looks as if its been chard(this is where i saw the smoke coming from on first startup attempt). The other side was nice and clean. I also noticed that the oil has a very high concentration of gas in it...

I don't know what to do. Trying to figure out if this engine is shot. Going to remove the oil pan today to see if i find anything in it...

camshaft rotation?

I suggest manually rotating the crankshaft to see if the camshafts rotate. If the camshafts rotate and there is no compression then the valves are not sealing - probably bent. If both camshafts do not rotate when the crankshaft does you need to pull the front cover to determine why.

Back