• Register Today It's free!

Trouble with keyless entry

DieselGuy001

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis,IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
'04 XLT, all power locks and switches work. I got it with only 1 original Ford key. I purchased 2 new keys and remotes from amazon. I used my buddies Autel scanner to program the new remotes. Haven't done the keys yet because I haven't gotten them cut. Here is my problem. The security module has the new remotes programmed into it, and it picks them up. However, my locks don't operate. I haven't had a chance to see if there was an aftermarket unit installed yet or to see if any of the wiring is butchered, but I would think not due to the locks working just fine with the switches and the keypad on the door. Is there anything else I should look into besides any aftermarket stuff? I am good with electrical, just not sure on this particular system of any other issues to look for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try reprogramming using forscan

Try reprogramming using forscan
Thanks. I will do that. Have to wait til I can order an OBD link and get the upgraded software from them. Probably this coming weekend. Gonna get keys cut today and see if those work. My buddy programmed the fobs on his expedition just fine with that Autel, which is why I am questioning as whether there may be another issue or not.

Did the door locks responded somehow during Autel tool reprogramming?

No, they did not. When I went to the programming screen, I had to hit the unlock button on a remote, then hit ok immediately on scanner, then cycle lock and unlock on drivers door switch. It shows the SN or FCC ID for each remote, so I know it recognizes them. Just not sure as to why they won't work. My first thought is some how the wires were butchered during an aftermarket install. Haven't checked yet, but wouldn't surprise me. They rigged the HVAC mode door to blow from floor, vent, and defrost at the same time. I have to close the vents to defrost my windshield. It was a Florida car.

I tried it the way I have found it posted on here. Turned the key 8 times, it responded, hit a button on each remote, it responded for each, turned the key off, responded again, both remotes work perfectly. I guess my X just doesn't like the autel. I will invest in Forscan most definitely, and maybe the Ford package with AutoEnginuity.

Back