• Register Today It's free!

Issues with Keyless Entry

Querys

Reaction score
City, State
Cologne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Explorer Limited
I searched the forum, but I had no luck with my issue.

When I come to the car nothing works. Not the key fob nor the keyless entry (the SecuriPad is switched off in my car). I have to use the mechanical key blade to unlock the car and the alarm goes on.
I have to put my key in the Armrest to start the car.
This is only required in the morning, the rest of the day the car is working as expected.

I replaced the battery in the key fob and tried the second key fob, but nothing changed.

Anyone an idea?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you had the vehicle's battery tested? Did you disable the Securicode pad?

Peter

Yes I disabled th Scuricode Pad (removed the fuse) because my wife things it is a security issue.

I did not test the vehicles battery, because the car starts and workes normal. I would expect at least issues with the starter motor?

The starter motor will not cause those issues. One way to see if the battery is good is to turn on the headlights before you start it. If they are good and bright, that might, I think, eliminate the battery as a possible cause. If you have the power liftgate, I'm guessing that won't open either using the fob?
The only thing I can think of why it might work after it has been started is that the battery would have been charged up. It still won't hurt to have it tested, just to make sure.

Peter

Hello again,

the issue is now back again (sometimes). It is not the vehicle starter battery, this is in good condition and it does not match with the behavior of the car.

I replaced both batteries of the key fobs and we changed keys. Car has keyless entry and keyless go.

So whats happening:
- Opening/closing with touching the door handle does not work
- opening with the key fob is not working
- using the spare key and the door lock opens the car but activates the alarm system (if you are not fast enough)

- keyless start does not work, you have to place the key fob in the center console in the holster

This could happen any time, no link to parking time, temperature, driving time etc.

Anyone any idea?

Have you tried disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes then reconnecting and see if anything changed? Doing this will likely result in some saved memory setting to be lost. I'm guessing that your fob also isn't opening the power liftgate??

Peter

Hey Peter,
yes I tried disconnecting the battery, but no luck unfortunately. Yesterday and saturday the key worked fine the whole day. On Friday the key worked the whole day, except once.

Is this happening in different physical locations or the same location when it doesn't work? Do you have any aftermarket items plugged into USB/power out lets or hardwired into the vehicle at all?

Yes it happens at totaly different locations. At home in the garage, by my parents in law, at the local super market or at the stabel.
Most parts are OEM and/or assembled since two years.
But I have an USB Adaptor in the power outlet. I will remove it when I use the car the next time.

I have to write to this issue again. The keyless entry / keyless go function is more or less completly dead. Even the keys on the key fob are not working.
I checked and preplaced all the batteries (Car and key fobs) but this did not help. We have now an real key with key blade to open the driver door with more comfort, but at the end with two small children this is not helping much.

Does anyone know, which control unit is responsible for the keyless entry function? Do I have to replace a fuse? Can I exchange this control unit with another one? Besides the keless function the car operates normal.

After doing some searching on the Internet, I think this is the control module for keyless entry; 2013-2015 Ford Explorer Control Module BB5Z-19G481-V | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter
Thank you Peter
Any idea where it is located in the car? I searched for a fuse dedicated to keyless but in the manual is nothing listed which could be for keyless.

No idea about the location. I doubt a fuse is involved if this is an intermittent problem.

Peter

No idea about the location. I doubt a fuse is involved if this is an intermittent problem.

Peter
Currently it is not working at all, but the door locks are working normal, when pushing the door button on driver or passenger side
The keyless is now not working for almost two weeks. Usually the function came back to life after a long distance drive or a car battery charge. But this didn’t help this time.

Does the Push to Start work?

No. I have to place the key in the specific place in the center console under the arm rest.
I believe that key backup slot is usually used when the fob's battery is too weak to start it normally. If you have remote start, does it work? How about the power liftgate if you have that? Will it open with the fob?

Peter

I believe that key backup slot is usually used when the fob's battery is too weak to start it normally. If you have remote start, does it work? How about the power liftgate if you have that? Will it open with the fob?

Peter
No the fob is not working at all. Like a dead battery in the fob. But it is with both fobs and the batteries are not very old, maybe half a year.
Once the car is opened with the rescue key blade and the Alarm is turned off everything is working normal, except the key recognition for the push button start or buttons on the fob.
And maybe two weeks ago the fob was working normal after some unfrequent interruptions.

It looks like the vehicle is not receiving or processing the signal being sent by the fob. If that is the case it may not be an issue with the keyless entry module but something else. I've run out of ideas so hopefully someone else may have an answer. Do you have an authorized dealer in the area or some place that might work with car electronics? Also, have you checked to see if there may be some stored trouble codes?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for constantly trying to help Peter.
The issue with the Explorer in Germany is, that a workshop knows maybe about the existance of the Explorer but never had one in the workshop before. It's like a Bugatti Veyron.

On weekend we tried the 2nd key fob and it worked as it should. The buttons and the keyless functions. Everything.

But today on Monday morning it was all over and we had to rescue with the key blade.

Today I will activate the key panel on the driver door. My wife asked me 2 years ago to deactivate it for security reasons, but I guess this option might be helpful. Anyway with the kids and curbside parking with a lot of traffic it is always a pain to get in frist on the driver side leaving the kids unattended for a moment.

Back