Truck hesitates to move

Godzilla2y

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer 4.0 4WD
Hopped in my truck today, went to back out of my spot, and when I put it in drive, it didn't want to move forward. Stepped on the gas a little more, and it jumped.

Got it back into its place, Slowly went through each gear to make sure they were engaging (they were). Tried backing up and pulling forward a few more times, and each time, it would hesitate before actually moving.

Does this sound like a transmission problem to anyone else? What's the best way to diagnose and fix it?

I just put the transmission back in this thing a few months ago. I'm really starting to reconsider how much I like it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Define jump. Does it bang loudly and jerk forward?

No loud bang, but it takes off like it finally realized someone is stepping on the gas

No loud bang, but it takes off like it finally realized someone is stepping on the gas

Just askin' since sometimes we are all guilty of getting wrapped up in the complicated stuff.

With the truck running on flat ground, have you pulled the auto-trans dip stick?

Not yet. Since I only put it back together like 6 weeks ago, I checked it then. I've put a few hundred miles on it since then, so it's possible something has happened.

I'll let it idle for a little while after work today to get nice and warm, then I'll check it. If there's any serious fluid level drop, that will also mean bad news, I suppose.

Not yet. Since I only put it back together like 6 weeks ago, I checked it then. I've put a few hundred miles on it since then, so it's possible something has happened.

I'll let it idle for a little while after work today to get nice and warm, then I'll check it. If there's any serious fluid level drop, that will also mean bad news, I suppose.

If you pull the stick and the ATF smells like burnt garlic, you've got a serious problem...

If it's down more than a QUART, don't drive it until you fill it - you'll ruin your Transmission Pump.

If when you're driving you hear a constant "whine" (akin to a large electric motor) the transmission pump has been damaged.

Don't drive it and have it flatbedded home -

HTH & Good Luck!

Luckily I'm working from home during the 'rona, so I don't have to worry about it getting towed.

I went out and let it idle for a few minutes after work today, then checked the fluid once it got warm.

Empty, and making a racket, kind of like you described, Dave.

Someone else put the tranny back in in 2015 or 16, and they didn't tighten anything from the bellhousing to the torque converter.

I'm guessing that ****ed up the pump enough for it to finally go out. 🤷‍♂️

you never know you could get extremly lucku if it was working. Could try a filter change and some blue devil and see what happens!

Tried filling it up with more fluid on a whim tonight, and it jumped right into gear and moved without making a sound. Now I have to find where the leak is. Thanks, everyone.

Which trans? I’ve seen 4R70Ws take a licking like this and bounce back.

4r55e. If it goes out, I'll be considering swapping something new in.

The 4r70w are tuff as nails, but since it is showing signs of life i would find your leak, fill it, drive about 100 miles drain it again just to flush it out then out in some high grade fluid, could even use B&M trick shift fluid just to help it out or somthing of your liking. I hope it all goes well!!

Back