• Register Today It's free!

Truck is unsafe

JinXRacer18

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Hey guys i am having some trouble with my 95 XLT 4x4. I talked to some people in a chat and they were pretty helpful but im looking for some more input. My truck is scary and unsafe to drive at highway speeds (especially in NYC where the roads are tight, fast and have nonstop potholes.) The problem is that if you are driving at a good pace (45+mph) and hit bumps the truck will jump, skip and move into another lane (especially on turns. If i hit a turn doing 50 and there are bumps the truck will just push in the bumps and go straight into the other lane) and the wheel jerks so much i have to have a death grip on it. I have been told to check the tie rod ends and the power steering rack. I am wondering what is wrong with it? How I can check what it is? and How much is it going to cost? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your balljoints too.. I hate seeing a Explorer play pinball with some jersey walls..

Shocks, bushings, tie rods, etc..............it could be numerous things. There is no way to determine what the problem is by your description. If the vehicle is actually unsafe to drive, and you are uncapable of getting under it and determining the problem............you need to take your truck to a trusted mechanic or the dealer.

Did this just start happening? You have been a member here for almost a month and never mentioned it. Did this "unsafe" condition just spring up?

Originally posted by Blee1099
Check your balljoints too.. I hate seeing a Explorer play pinball with some jersey walls..

OK thanks. Is there anyway to check this?

Originally posted by dman726749
sounds like you need some new shocks too

Yea it needs shocks too which i will be getting

Originally posted by Robb
Shocks, bushings, tie rods, etc..............it could be numerous things. There is no way to determine what the problem is by your description. If the vehicle is actually unsafe to drive, and you are uncapable of getting under it and determining the problem............you need to take your truck to a trusted mechanic or the dealer.

Did this just start happening? You have been a member here for almost a month and never mentioned it. Did this "unsafe" condition just spring up?

Anyway to check to see which problem it is. Im pretty handy so i can check myself and probably replace the stuff myself.
Also it has always done it but the truck is used for all stop and go town driving where it is not noticed but recently i have been going on some long trips (3+hrs)were it is very very noticable and i would like to fix it

If its as bad as you say, don't drive until you fix it! Exs are not that bad! Check out some of the things mentioned here and go from there. You should have it put up on a lift and check everything.
With the truck on the ground, push down really hard on the front & rear corners of your truck one corner at a time, If it springs up and stops the shocks are probably good. If it goes up and down again the shocks probably need replacing.
Thats just a start. Get it checked!

If you want to check the ball joints, heres what you do- Just jack up a front wheel and grab the top and bottom of the tire. Trie to rock it up and down. There should be no play in it.

honestly it sounds like you have a bad wheel alignment. its called bump steer when you hit a bump especialy when going around a turn and your car wants to jerk to the other lane. i had this problem and got it fixed with a front end alignment. it is very scary especialy when its raining!
i agree to check your ball joints, they wear out fast on explorers.

Originally posted by SiLenZe
honestly it sounds like you have a bad wheel alignment. its called bump steer when you hit a bump especialy when going around a turn and your car wants to jerk to the other lane. i had this problem and got it fixed with a front end alignment. it is very scary especialy when its raining!
i agree to check your ball joints, they wear out fast on explorers.

Thanks man im in the process of checking it out. Ill let u know what i find.

So did you find the fix?

Please post whether the problem was fixed. I recently had my upper control arms, lower ball joints, brakes, rotors replaced and I have a CRAZY vibration in the steering wheel. When I hit bumps-- just like you state--It feels unsafe, as if I'm going to jump into the next lane!

My trucks' going to a DIFFERENT dealer to see if they can diagnose the problem!!!

jordan23

Sounds like your explorer is driving like some crude peice of jeep crap, not a quality ford explorer LOL!!!!!

We had a 1990 dakota that was doing the same thing. Had the tie rod ends (inner and outer) replaced, ball joints replaced, and new front shocks installed, now she rides like new.

how much air is in your tires? Mine rides rough when the tires are too hard. put the tires at like 32 or so and try it again. Also maybe a steering stabalizer would help take the blows and keep it under control. they are not too expensive. I just don;t know if they will work on a 95+ model.
Also check what everone said, plus your rack. does the rack leak or is the joint on your internediate shaft worn? I had to replace my intermediate shaft on my 95 cause the boot on the joint had torn and sand got in there and it was grinding all around.

Back