• Register Today It's free!

truck jus fixed, still problem

fordtruckin

Reaction score
City, State
Atco, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
i just got my truck scaned at Autozone and they said the O2 sensiors were bad. I took it to my local auto shop, and he said the truck was running lean, but it was fine, so all he did was clear the codes, NOW I GET BAD GAS MILEAGE!!!!! someone please help me!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you have a bad o2 sensor, it can cause the vehicle to run lean or rich. the bad 02 sensor doesnt reall do a whole lot to you beside up-ing the mix, thus reducing gas milage.

when was the last time you did your sensors?

and BTW, even though the code says sensors, it may not be.

never got the sensiors replaced before, the check engine light came on sunday. now its off tho.. wat else could it be that could cause the bad gas mileage??

dunno. i had a 97 contour that did a similar thing. it actually threw several codes and i tried to fix them one by one but never did because i refused to change 02 sensors. it would come and go but most of the time, it would be there.

i know i had a plugged cat convertor, and needed a new egr also, but i dont know what else. i would look into the 02 sensors anyways, i know it should only have 1 or 2 and its usually not that hard to do.

Is it a SOHC engine. IF it is there is a "Program" (similar to a recall) from ford which is related to the lower intake manifold seals. The leaking seals causes the engine to have a small vacuum leak and run lean. I know it has been talked about a lot on this forum. Call your ford dealer and ask them to run your vin number and see if there is any open recalls or programs for your vehicle.

good idea...didnt think about a vacum leak, and not being a SOHC owner, i had no idea about the issue.

Back