• Register Today It's free!

Truck wont start

makaveli923

Reaction score
City, State
Stoney creek
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt
I just put a new engine and transmission in my friends 99 explorer its a 4.0l sohc. Before i did this the gear selecter when you were in park it was to the right almost in the middle of park and reverse and new it wont crank in park because the needle is too far over but when i put it into neutral it will crank but it doesn't show neutral because its off by a nice bit. would it do this because technically its not noticing it in park it thinks its in reverse. How would i adjust the needle on the dash.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't panic. You now have a new tool, the search feature on this site. If you are still stumped after your search and rescue let us know. Start with "shift selector indicator".

so i searched how to adjust the gear indicator but would it not start the car if its that inaccurate.

it depends on what "this problem" is. Does the starter not turn in any key position??? Does your starter engage? Either way, lots of posts for either.... from checking relays and connections along with a meter for voltages and grounds for one problem to "no start" conditions for checking fuel and spark..... what have you got?

Please be more specific. Tell us what you have found and what you have done so we know where your'e at.

Not the gear selected indicator

The gear selected (P,R,N,D,2,1) indicator is independant of the transmission gear selected. You probably need to adjust your shift cable or the Digital Transmission Range (DTR) sensor. If the DTR is not in Park or Neutral the starter motor relay is disabled. Also, make sure the cable to the DTR is connected.

the starter will only engage when i put it over 2 gears to neutral but it doesn't show neutral because its off so bad. so everythings fine such as fuses and relays its just what needs to be adjusted for it to sense it in park.

full range of gear selection?

Are you able to move the gear selector thru all of the gear selections (count them)? I suspect that your shift cable needs to be adjusted so when the selector is at the left limit the transmission is in Park and when the selector is at the right limit the transmission is in "1". My shift indicator has malfunctioned for several months but I still have all gear positions functioning properly even though the indicator never moves past "D".

Lots of explorers get this problem, i had this problem like 3 weeks ago. it was just a small adjustment at the base of the tranny. shifter linkage needed to be stretched out more i think.

Back