Truck wont start

Brandons

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 F150 SC 5.4
First time posting bout a major problem, or well maybe not that major.

short and simple
-truck aint starting, turing over, but no ignition.

i have no idea what it is, only thing i can think of is the exhaust (plugged cat(s)) and O2 sensors and maf sensor.

when i turn the key to "run" or whatever, i do not hear the sound from the sending unit engaging, which weve been through 2 already in 130000km (55000miles approx.).

The truck also sometimes starts up fine, but then after a while sputters and eventually stalls. Or sometimes it will run flawlessly.....

Could anyone please help, its not extremely urgent, but damn, 2 tractors and the truck wont stay running.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you say sending unit, are you talking about the fuel pump?
A no-start is almost always either a complete lack of fuel or spark. Do you have fuel pressure at the rail? If you don't hear the fuel pump run and you don't have pressure at the rail, then it's time to go through the fuel pump circuit (including the relay, the inertia switch, and the associated wiring, and the ground) and see what has failed.
And, just so you know, 130K km is closer to 80K miles (8 km for every 5 mi)

Sending unit as in fuel pump, same mouting, been through 2 already. I dont know about the inertia switch, because it still gets gas sometimes... but the fuel pressure is a for sure problem. I'm about to go out and look at it, even though its almost -35 C outside.

thanks for the help (And the insight on the miles)

Could i use another relay from the truck (like in the power distribution box) with the same numbers on it and switch it with the fuel one to see if it does anything? Or is that too risky or something...

Do first gens have the fuel pump reset switch of the second gens?

On my truck, there is a red button under the glove box, on the firewall in the passenger footwell that controls the fuel pump.

Have you checked your fuel pump fuse?

urrg, ill check tomorrow when its warmer and light out

yes look i nthe owners manual

i tihnk its behind the carpet under nieth the center of the dash

atleast i think thats where it said it was

PEACE

ok, ive checked the fuel pump fuse, its fine, the relay doesnt seem to be the problem either, theres a button under the dash ive flicked on and off a few times, if thats what you guys mean is the fuel pump reset switch, yet i dont hear the fuel pump engage when i turn the key over to run.

Im looking for the intertia switch post and i hope that may be the problem.

I had a strange no start prob;em that was finally shown to be O3 sensor.

Take a look at Dead Link Removed

urrg.,.. The starter cranks over on the truck, but it doesnt fire up, i seriously hope it isnt the fuel pump, cause that would be the 4rth time in for that repair. Does the fuel pump not run when the tank level is empty, just so it doesnt burn out?

I don't think so. Where does the fuel pump circuit fail? Have you checked the ground?

I dont know were to check for the fuel pump power, and im not that keen on dropping the tank again. Relays and fuses are fine, pump just doesnt seem to want to run.

Fuel filter???

Would that stop the pump from startin up??

Possibly? I would chnag eit anyway. $10 and 10 min.

If filter is clogged it can burn up your pump, hence going thrhough 2 in 55K. you may need another pump.

Also the sputering indicates lack of fuel which also ponits to filter.

Yeah i already have the new filter, but i dont have the tool to pull the old one off. I certianly hope the pump hasnt burnt out for the 4rth time, that gets really annoying, especially when then filter is "Supposidy" changed everytime its done.

If it is the pump again. Look for what is causing them to fail before putting a new one in again.

bah, ive never put a new one it, it was taken to a mechanic. But after all this bull crap, im about to do it my damn self, cept i need to get the tools for it. I'll just keep my fingers crossed its just a filter or something like that.

ok its probably been about a week or so, and i still havent gotten anywere. i checked the relays and fuses, and am unsucessful. The inertia switch has not be set off, and resetting the pump doesnt work. Can anyone tell me were you test for the voltage to the fuel pump?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you change the filter yet, or check fuel pressure. It could also be the Fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump relay.

I think you want to check amps.

1. Start the truck.
2. Pull pump fuse (located in fuse box under hood)
3. Quickly put meter on fuse terminals before it dies.

OR I guess you could hold the meter and have someone start it if you got help.

Someone explained this procedure to me awhile back. Search around, its here.

EDIT: HERE

Back