Creager

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4
Hey guys i had a question

I am in the middle of tearing down my rear-end and putting in a TrueTrac with 4.56 Gears.

Do i need to do any special modification to the Ring Gear or the Truetrac to be able to install the C-Clips?

I've gotton mixed reviews from different places i called. 4wheel parts said No i dont, while Randy's Ring & pinion said i need to grind down the toe side of the ring gear 3/16in to clear the TrueTrac Cross Pin.

Also can i use longer bolts to get this ring gear to seat on the truetrac? i can get the ring gear on the stock carrier but not on this truetrac, i can get 7 of 10 bolts around the back of the truetrac, but those last 3 bolts just wont catch... ive tried using a vice, a c-frame press to squeeze it on there, its just being a *******!

EDIT: OK so my question has been answered as far as grinding down the ring gear...

Does anyone know a trick to getting the ring gear to seat equally on the TrueTrac? I spent 3 hours on sunday with a buddy and an hour yesterday trying to do just that step... am i doing something wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know, but 'bump' for ya.

Heat the ring gear up.

Yes you will have to grind the tooth down to slide the pin through. It isn't hard.

-Drew

Awesome, thanks guys.

Ill hit the ring gear with the grinder once i figure out how to seat it on the truetrac; so i can get a good idea of what and how many teeth to grind a lil off of.

Heat the ring gear up.
heating the ring gear won't affect the strength of it? it seems so close that if the bolts had like an extra thread or two it could catch. I dunno about longer bolts though, i dont wanna ring out those boltholes.

I just installed a Motive Gear 4.56 in a Mustang 8.8, reusing the stock 28 spline Traction lok, and c-clips.

The only thing I changed was that I bought the Ford FRPP cross shaft, with a couple small flats machined on it. I had to use one with a 4.10 in a 7.5 axle, so I asked. They make one, so I got one. Most guys just grind if needed.

Otherwise, it all went back together easily.

The stock ring gear bolts, etc worked just fine, and should on yours.

man

the ring gear simply wont go on evenly. It wants to teeter totter to eaither side

i got it now, if this dont work im taking this **** to a shop somewhere for me because ive run out of ideas

I have frozen then truetrac overnight in the freezer on the highest setting/coldest tempature

Later i will bake the ring gear and the ABS gear in the oven at 300*F for three hours.

once the gear is done baking it should go one relativly easy.. I HOPE!

ahhh i figured it out last night

actually 2 nights ago

but i Froze the truetrac overnight. Letting it sit in the freezer

Last night, i put the Ring gear in the oven at 300*f for 3 hours. And the last 15 minutes i put the ABS gear in the oven also

When the gears were done cooking, i took the true trac out and set it outside while my buddy pulled the ABS gear out of the oven. We took the ABS gear and it litterally just dropped right into place. We had to use a rubber mallet for one side to seat flush, but all in all it was a hell of a lot easier (and less painful) to use heat.

After that we removed the ring gear from the oven and brought it outside. When we slid it on the Truetrac we both heald our breath as the damn thing fit PERFECTLY! the bolts went in smoother then butter, for i was almost mad since i didnt think of this earlier.

Back