Powertrax NoSlip vs. Detroit TrueTrac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Powertrax NoSlip vs. Detroit TrueTrac

XLTime

Reaction score
City, State
In da Middle of Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT 4x4 4dr
I am looking into getting the Detroit TrueTrac installed on the rear of my 92 X. The mechanic prefers powertrax because of ease of installation and thorough instructions.

1. Are the instructions with the TrueTrac as good as PowerTrax's?

2. Is the TrueTrac kit complete and ready to drop-in or will I need additional parts (the mechanic has done some Auburn's and he said they sometimes need additional parts)?

3. From reading other posts, it seems like the TrueTrac may be smoother (on road) than the NoSlip and will still provide plenty of traction. Can anybody comment?

4. What kind of prices have you guys gotten on either the NoSlip or TrueTrac.

Any recommendations would really help so that I know which one to go with.

Thanks.

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The TrueTrac was the first antispin device I purchased and installed. Other than an installation kit I didn't need anything else.
BUT, I was not happy with the off-road performance, it didn't work the way a locker works.
The on-road performance was good, maybe better than a locker.

The latest is a Detroit Locker, everything was there also, except for the install kit.

Go with the no-slip!!!

It works great off road and you really don't notice it on the road if you learn to drive a little different. You just can't gun it around corners.

There are a few of us with no-slip lockers and I think I can talk for everyone there isn't anyone that is unhappy with it. I know Michael, Gerald, have them and Gerald put his own in.

It really makes a BIG difference off-road.

I got powertrax... haven't had it off road... but onroad, it's very managable :)
Pete

The Powertrax is my choice also. It is a little different on the road around corners but of course I have a lead foot. Also the Powertrax is very easy to install.

Thanks for the input. One thing I am still wondering about is how the NoSlip will handle for daily driving during crummy weather.

On my drive to work today, it was raining pretty good and it made me wonder how the NoSlip will work on highways and country roads that are covered with rain or ice or sleet or snow. Would the TrueTrac work better in this situation by maintaining traction when hitting puddles, patches of ice, or drifts across the road?

Steve

In rain and sleet/snow I've had mine in, and if ya don't nail the gas, you're fine. If ya dump on the gas, good bye rear end. It's probly one of the most street friendly lockers out there
Pete

With the No-Slip, even in the rain/snow, as long as you're not gassing it around turns and corners, you won't even noticed it. On straight aways, you'd never know it's there. But if you're ever stuck somewhere wheeling, you'd wish you had a No-Slip.

Prices ranges from $275 to $350, someone here found a really good deal over the internet (Desert Rat Racing or something like that). I had mine installed at a local shop for about $150 in addition to the No-Slip cost.

This was in my old '91 EB.

steve,

I hjave a no-slip also and Im very happy with it. I drive mine everyday rain, snow, even in the dry! I installed it myself and it was a piece of cake(except for the broken pinion shaft lock bolt). The true trac is a case unit so the gears need to be checked and reset where the no-slip installs in an existing case no need to re-set the gears, so the install cost will vary.

On the street the truck handles differently no doubt, but if youve driven a L/S equipt vehicle and a Locked vehicle it is in between them. You have to adjust your driving style a bit, and I havent had any problem in the rain, and in Ice and snow it handles as well as my other LS equipt vehicles. Snow and Ice dont have enough traction (or the traction is equal enough in most cases to keep the clutches from disengauging)to let a L/S unlock like they do on dirt or rocks so a L/S and locker usually perform about the same in snow and ice in my experience - except in one case - if one tire is on ICE or snow and the other has traction a L/S can be overpowered and cause the traction wheel to stop and the other wheel to spin, a locker like the No-Slip will keep power to both axles no matter what.

You get side slip on off camber and crowned roads, or if you use the gas pedal too much, just like any LS would but the unit is fairly quiet on street and pavement.

Any TrueTrac experiences?

These comments are great; it sounds like the No-Slip is excellent.

For comparison, does anyone have experience with a rear TrueTrac on highways or country roads covered with rain or ice or snow?

I had one installed a few years back and the TrueTrac acts like a posi-trac.
If you are using this rig off road then learn to live with the No-Spin; you won't regret it when you get into a sticky situation.

I have a new Ranger FX4 on the way. It comes with a Torsen limited slip in the rear, and of course, and open diff in the front. I definately want to put some kind of traction aide in the front. Obviously we don't have our 75 for an ARB yet, so I was wondering if the No-Slip would be appropriate for use in the front end. If so, when the front axle is disengaged, does the No-Slip remain disengaged at all times? My only concern is driving on the street in 2-Hi and having the locker lock up on me. Would this be a problem. Also, when in 4WD on a trail with tight switchbacks, would I experience binding problems, or would the No-Slip know when to disengage?

Also, if not the No-Slip, which LS would you reccomend for the front?

--Sean

Okay, i'm glad i read this thread because i was ordering a true trac in the morning! But now i don't know. Is the No-slip a true locker? My 97 is a daily driver and i go off road about once a week. Nothing to harsh, no a whole of mud but i throw some in there. Mostly trailes with some ditches and that kinda stuff. I guess what i'm getting at is which one should i get. I've found the true trac for $310 at rieder racing in michigan i think. I haven't even priced the no-slip yet. In the long run, which on is going to where out the fastest? One more, is the true trac more like a LS or a posi unit? Please help me so i can get one ordered and put in, thanks alot!

Happy trailes!

Yes the no slip is truly a locker. Near 50/50 torque split to both wheels. Definitely go with the no-slip.

Jot017,

You are not going to wear out a Powertrax. My Navajo is a Daily Driver and I dont go wheeling as much as you do. I have not met one one person that is not happy with there Powertrax. And Breaking one is just unheard of.

Hey Kris, thanks alot. I know we are all talking about the No-slip, but is that what everyone is running? Take a look at this link, the chart at the bottom shows that there is not a no-slip for an 8.8????? Our explorers are 28 splines right? Now what?!?!?!

http://www.reiderracing.com/diffs.htm

Okay, so what about this one, anyone know anything about this?

Dead Link Removed

Well, i went ahead and ordered my powertrax no slip this morning. I got it for $366. I was looking at the true trac and it was $310. I decided to go for the no slip cause i can do it myself and won't have to pay the $250 for installation and i get both wheels always spinning. I went with what everyone was saying good about the powertrax and it has a 2 year warrenty, so hopefully i have as good of luck as you all have had! I can't wait to get it in and try it out!!!!! Thanks!

Happy trailes!

Back