• Register Today It's free!

Trunk Hatch Stuck?!?

Drios729

Reaction score
City, State
Gloucester,NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
Hi, I just bought a explorer sport 96. I'm really concerned because the other day I noticed I couldn't get my trunk to open. I don't know what could be wrong. I made sure it was unlocked and I tried to twist the handle and the handle wouldn't budge at all. I also noticed when I use the power switch to unlock and lock the doors the lock on the trunk doesn't move it has to be locked or unlocked by key or hand. And when I use the power locks button it makes a drill gun kinda noise in the back of the truck near the trunk hatch. When I unlock and lock the trunk hatch by key or hand I hear it unlocking or locking but I can't get it to open because the handle doesn't turn no matter what I do. Anyone know what the problem is or what it could be? Or do you have the same or similar problem? What should I do? Sorry I know this really isn't "under the hood" but I'm new and I don't know where to post this. Thanks.

Either a bad door lock actuator or a stuck rear latch. I had a 96 explorer and the rear hatch lock actuator went bad and did the same thing as you describe--it was basically locked all the time. Replaced this part with a junk yard part and everything was fine.

Back