TSL Boggers on a '99 - Anyone doing this? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TSL Boggers on a '99 - Anyone doing this?

So, when I bought my '99 Explorer, one of the first things I did was a shackle-and-torsion-twist lift to it, allowing me to replace the stock 235/75-15 tires with some 31x10.5x15 "Wild Country" or "Open Country" mud tires from my local Les Schwab tire dealer.

I know they were a Toyo-manufactured tire, and I'm virtually positive that they were "Wild Country" but all I see from Toyo now is "Open Country", so, maybe memory is hazy. It was 18 or 19 years ago. :p

Anyhow, I absolutely loved the way these tires looked and performed off-road, but I was young and dumb, and quickly learned (as quickly as running these bald) that off-road tires for a daily driver (that was also my only vehicle, at the time) wasn't the wisest decision. I don't know what I ran afterwards, but it was something far more road-friendly.

In 2008, I put a suspension lift on my Explorer, and fitted 33x12.5x15 BFG All-Terrains under it, which are actually still on it today, with a LOT of tread life left (life got in the way, and I didn't get to drive my Explorer nearly as much), but they're 13 years old now, they're showing cracking/checking between tread lugs, and it seems that it's past due to replace them.

I'm still really happy with the BFG All-Terrains, but now that I've got other cars, I'm looking to put mud tires back on the Explorer.

The original BFG Mud-Terrain KM tires had the tread pattern that I really love, but the newer KM2 and now KM3 just don't. I'm sure they're a competent mud tire, I just don't like the way they look, and I'm apparently overly picky about a bunch of other stuff (brands, tread patterns, etc.)

The "Super Swamper TSL Bogger" tire appeals to me greatly, and they come in the size I'm looking for - 33x12.5x15

My big question here is, I know from experience that tires of the same marked size vary significantly in size from one brand to the other. Does anyone have any experience with these tires, and how true they are to BFG in size?

In a perfect world, I'd get around to installing a 2" body lift on my Explorer, and just jump up to 35x12.5x15, but that's not in the cards right now, hence why I'm looking at this size. Just a bit leery of dropping up to $1500 on new tires that I might have some severe fitment/rubbing issues with.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Manufacturers websites will have charts showing the diameters.
That said, there’s plenty of other fine mud tires out there besides bfg, and unless you will be doing 90% of your miles in deep mud, all of them will be a better choice than Boggers.
Or, if your main concern and priority is appearance, than Boggers are a good choice and I can respect that.

TSL Radials are a good looking option, too...

I certainly won’t be 90% in deep mud.

I'd go for either Nitto Mud Grappler or Dick Cepek Trail Grappler tires. Was just checking them out on 4wheelonline. They both have good reviews.

Back