• Register Today It's free!

TTB center u-joint HELP!!!

Hotweels

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary,AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 EB
i gotta replace the center u-joint on a friend's rig ASAP!
i have been told it's a crazy job but i gotta get it done snow is in the forcast and the joint is almost gone.
can anyone explain to me the quickest way to do this?

There is no easy way to do this! Have you ever tried to replace a u-joint without removing the driveline? Thats the quickest way. The only other way is to remove the third member.

I have replaced this ujoint in one hour before. My way is not the Ford manual way of doing this. I don't recommend this for everyone. So please don't try this at home.

I have did this many times and yet to have a problem. I take the torches and cut the ujoint out. That is it. I "pop" the hold down rings off, and tap the caps out with a punch. If you do try this PLEASE becarful not to cut into the yoke on the shafts. And when doing this you need to be very fast with your cuts, if you are slow you will melt the seal in the pig. Other than this way, you will need to pull the pig out. I looked this job up one day at work when I was bored, it pays 8 hours to do it. If ya need any more adivce feel free to ask.

It can be done with a small 4 inch c-clamp,but it takes a little bit of time:)

Back