• Register Today It's free!

Tune up time!! What's best

Dave422

Reaction score
City, State
OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 EB
Hey peeps, I've recently purchased a '95 Eddie Bauer with a low low 240000 miles on it. I'm wanting to do some plugs and wires and am not sure if I should go with stock motorcrafts, or something more expensive. This is the first I've ever worked with the coil packs. I'd like to get better power and or mileage if possible, as I spend alot of time on the highway. Also, how can I tell if the overdrive is on or off, the light on the button doesn't work and the thing wraps up around 3 grand at 65 mph. Is that normal? Any help would be great! Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The consensus here is only motorcraft for plugs and wires.

You call 240K miles with 95 EB 'low low miles'? Then how about mine 98 EB with 106K?

My plugs were replaced by a shop and I did the wire. I used Autolite professional wire. I think that I get 1-2 miles/gallon efficiency after replacing the wire.

Yeah, the low miles was sarcasm! I think I'll stick with motorcraft. Ford stuff for the ford. Thanks for the advice. Do you know anything about my overdrive problem?

The OD should be on by default, meaning the light is not lit on the dash. The light would be lit if you clicked the button to disengage. As for the 3k at 65, seems high. What motor, and what gears do you have? There is a code for the gear ratio on the door jamb sticker.

May be clean MFA, do seaform could get RPM down a little? At highway, my 98EB normally runs at 2000 to 2500RPM.

I did seafoam, through brake booster vacuum. What is MFA and how do I clean it?

It's the 4.0 OHV. I think 3:73 4wd. I will go out and check ratio ic I need too if that doesn't sound right.

I have the SOHC 4.0, so it could differ, but even with 4.10s i don't hit 3k until about 75mph. To see if your O/D works, since you said the light does not function, try and count the shifts to see if it does indeed shift into o/d.

The code for axle is 46, which according to a different posting on here, it is the 3:73. I hate to sound stupid, but when I count the shifts how many should there be. If it helps, it does kick down when I go to pass. I accidentally hit the button a couple of times while not thinking about it ( not sure why) so I tried hitting it while driving a few times and never noticed any change on tach. Should I?

If you're on the highway and hit the OD off button, it should downshift. If it isn't, you don't have overdrive engaging, which explains the high RPM.

The MFA is supposed to be MAF, or mass airflow sensor- get some dedicated mass airflow sensor to clean it, if it hasn't been done at 200k+ it should probably be cleaned.

CLICK ME

Good choice on the Motorcraft parts, too. :thumbsup:

Ahh. That makes sense foe MAF. How does OD work? Can I check to see if it's engaging?

Check out the link in my signature. Tons of ideas there. check out www.rockauto.com for some excellent deals.

OD is just another "gear"

If you're running at 70 on the highway, hit the OD off button on the end of your gearshifter, and nothing happens (i.e. no downshift) your OD isn't working.

So how do I diagnose the problem? I searched the forum, butthere is so much info, I'm having a hard time finding help for my problem. Thank you.

Ok, I checked voltage at the fuse (26), and continuity across the fuse. All good there. I then pulled the button out of the shift lever and checked voltage at the terminals. That was good too. Then I checked con. of button with the switch closed and it was good. I pulled the truck on ramps and got under it. There appears to be two harnesses plugged into tranny, both look ok, but its very dirty down there. It looks like I may need a rear main seal. I have checked fluid, it's good.

I know that in my '00 the overdrive is automatically reset every time the truck is turned off. So if i had turned the overdrive off before shutting the truck down, then it will be on when i start back up. Or so said my owners manual.

I know that in my '00 the overdrive is automatically reset every time the truck is turned off. So if i had turned the overdrive off before shutting the truck down, then it will be on when i start back up. Or so said my owners manual.

This is really odd. I thought OD is always on unless you intentionly turn it off.

OD is always engaged. Uless you turn it off manually.
BUT - the OD not working can signal a transmission problem, not just the button...
At 70mph I am at around 2200 rpm in OD. Over 3000rpm is the third gear.
The button itself pops out easily and you can check the contact. Check the fluid level too.

As for tune-up: Use Autolite XP plugs (I think is XP104 for yours). Forget about those overated Motorcraft (btw - made by Autolite too).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So how do I diagnose the problem? I searched the forum, butthere is so much info, I'm having a hard time finding help for my problem. Thank you.

Dave422 - To check if OD is working:
- Take truck out on highway up to 60MPH or so; truck should be in OD.
- Push button to turn OD off; light should come on.
- If OD is working correctly, transmission will shift down. You will see RPMs increase about 500 RPM.
- If OD NOT working correctly, RPMs will NOT change.

At 3000 RPMs at 65 MPH, it is likely that your OD is not engaging. Further analysis required to figure out why.

Back