Tuning options for 2016 Sport??? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tuning options for 2016 Sport???

16 Sport, any updates? I finally got one! Well, the wife did. Love it so far. She even let me drive it to work today. LOL.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could not get the issue resolved. 8 grand investment was my limit and I was clearly just getting deeper so today I had my Explorer put back to 100% stock. I have already sold the exhaust and intake and am going to list the rest of the parts tonight for sale on the forum. Everything must go....

What tune are you running? Did you just go back to stock or run a less aggessive Livernois tune? You really needed to datalog when the problem occurred to see what was going on.

That really sucks by the way. I feel for you...

its run fine with the stock tune all along so thats what ive been mostly running. Today I also removed all the bolt-ons so shes totally stock now. I had Ford spend a day running diagnostics with the stock tune recently and they said everything mechanically checked out ok. At this point im just looking to put the financial loss and stress behind me.

so what's everyone running for tuning for the eb's? Livernois and 5 star are the big two but always open to other options. Been in contact with gearhead tuning for some
Beta tuning. Any supporting mods such as intake/exhaust/down pipe make a notable difference?

5 star seems to sell other peoples stuff. Livernois is the only one i'm trusting.

I've ran 5 star and mpt in the f1 but seems like livernois is the big name in the eb world. I'm fairly new to the Eco world as I ran diesels for quite a while, but I see some of the reputable diesel tuners are now looking into the Eco industry as well. How do you like the livernois tune midnight?

so what's everyone running for tuning for the eb's? Livernois and 5 star are the big two but always open to other options. Been in contact with gearhead tuning for some
Beta tuning. Any supporting mods such as intake/exhaust/down pipe make a notable difference?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this existing one on the same topic found using the Forum's 'Search' feature.

Peter

Thanks for the cosign @midnightsun :chug:

You would be very hard pressed to find another vendor with more EB achievements, support for and/or a larger following than we are fortunate enough to have.

Here is the breakdown on a tune's supporting mods:
3BAR MAP- NO BRAINER! The 3 BAR MAP sensor allows us to better measure, map and apply higher than stock levels of boost throughout the powerband. The part itself does not make more power, but it effectively allows us to turn the EcoBoost's engineering against itself to make better and more effective tuning for you.

160* thermostat- Again, a no brainer. This allows us to again tune slightly more aggressively by keeping coolant temps down and fighting detonation.

CAI- This is a great mod if you want a couple (~7hp) and more cabin noise on a stock exhaust truck. If you add exhaust components that is where the real power gains come into play!

DP- Totally worth it from an efficient performance perspective, as they allow your turbos to spool more freely. The peak gains are good, but that is not the important part of the story. The DP's will allow you to make peak power ~500 RPM sooner, hold that power for about another 500 RPM and then continue to make more power again for ~500 RPM.

Catback- The similar rules apply here that do to the CAI. If you want a handful of hp and sound, cool. If you add the complimenting performance parts you get SOOO MUCH MORE!

Thanks for the cosign @midnightsun :chug:

You would be very hard pressed to find another vendor with more EB achievements, support for and/or a larger following than we are fortunate enough to have.

Here is the breakdown on a tune's supporting mods:
3BAR MAP- NO BRAINER! The 3 BAR MAP sensor allows us to better measure, map and apply higher than stock levels of boost throughout the powerband. The part itself does not make more power, but it effectively allows us to turn the EcoBoost's engineering against itself to make better and more effective tuning for you.

160* thermostat- Again, a no brainer. This allows us to again tune slightly more aggressively by keeping coolant temps down and fighting detonation.

CAI- This is a great mod if you want a couple (~7hp) and more cabin noise on a stock exhaust truck. If you add exhaust components that is where the real power gains come into play!

DP- Totally worth it from an efficient performance perspective, as they allow your turbos to spool more freely. The peak gains are good, but that is not the important part of the story. The DP's will allow you to make peak power ~500 RPM sooner, hold that power for about another 500 RPM and then continue to make more power again for ~500 RPM.

Catback- The similar rules apply here that do to the CAI. If you want a handful of hp and sound, cool. If you add the complimenting performance parts you get SOOO MUCH MORE!

You guys planning any blackfriday package deals haha. In terms of running the downpipes with the stock catback, how loud are they? It'll be pretty much a daily driver so I'd like to keep the sound somewhat reasonable.

Thanks for the input!

That is a LOOONG way away lol!

The DP's hardly alter the exhaust note.

Our Thunderstorm catback guarantees no drone. That is usually what people (myself included) HATE drone!

Our Thunderstorm catback guarantees no drone. That is usually what people (myself included) HATE drone!

Indeed it is haha but I usually make all my yearly big purchases that day haha. My truck and mustang are fairly loud so I have to keep this wife approved, but a little sound is ok. Thinking I'd be in for some custom tunes, thermo, 3 bar map, and cai in the very near future. Do you recommend a plug change/regap for the performance tunes? Does your tuning platform support data logging capabilities?

Indeed it is haha but I usually make all my yearly big purchases that day haha. My truck and mustang are fairly loud so I have to keep this wife approved, but a little sound is ok. Thinking I'd be in for some custom tunes, thermo, 3 bar map, and cai in the very near future. Do you recommend a plug change/regap for the performance tunes? Does your tuning platform support data logging capabilities?

We do recommend a plug swap if you have ~8-10k or greater on the clock. If your truck is newer, just regap the plugs to .030".

Anyone taking the native values and recalculating them into something else that gives a chance for things to be miscalculated. This is the biggest issues we see with data logging or tune monitoring.If someone looks at AFR on a monitoring device, that value is already calculated. But the issue is what conversion ar e they using? 14.64? 14.08? something else? Now, what about what is in your tank. If they are assuming e10, and you have something more like e6, that instantly makes the applied conversion inc orrect. Then, what if they aren't grabbing the right data point from the ECM to log it? What if they are grabbing one with an offset already added in? or a delay? or a commanded VS actual average?

You can see where one simple item like "AFR" is all of a sudden riddled with chances of incorrect data being displayed and/or gathered. Now, we haven't even started talking about boost, or any other myriad of items that could be logged. You see, the Data points that almost all dataloggers use are SAE. Now, SAE standards are nice, BUT they are not designed for someone to do calibration from. They are for repair shops to help diagnose issues with vehicles. So, the level of precision, and refresh rate is not what's needed to do proper calibration development. If y ou are using a data point with a 200ms refresh rate, but the actual value in the ECM refreshes every 8ms, then the ECM is updating 50x more frequently then what you are watching. Again, you start to see where the issues happen and it's easier to understand why we do not treat the EcoBoost like any other engine before it. Can someone get lucky and eventually end up with a tune that works by looking at the wrong data? Absolutely. Can they repeat those results over and over again without starting from scratch each time? Usually not. And it all stems from having the right knowledge, and data in the first place.

No where does the computer spit out A/F data. Yet the data logger you're using is providing your tuner with this inaccurate A/F data. This is why we data log our own vehicles in house, to ensure it's the correct format and information required. What good does inaccurate data do anyone? That is how people end up with engine failures. Making tune adjustments from this incorrect data. When there is an option that allows remote, accurate, seamless data logging available, we wouldn't reject this, and is something we are working on developing, but again, it's not needed at all due to our procedures we have in place today.

To make it a little easier to picture for most people. If Ford, GM, Chrysler, or any auto manufacturer could spend $30-50 on hardware to datalog and do calibration, why don't they? The answer is simple, you can't, it takes 10's of Thousands of dollars to have the right hardware just for the process to begin.

Lots of good info. My concern with the data logging was more for your tuning purposes. I would assume the ecm would account for most of the minor outside changes (fuel, elevation, air density, etc). I would imagine your tunes have hundreds to thousands of hours of reaseach, but as you know every motor can be slightly different. I know some other tuners (fairly big name) were having nasty afr's in some of their tuning that ultimately ended up hurting the motor. Open communication with a tuner is always a good thing lol. I've ridden in a few Eco f1's with your tuning and they've been nothing shy of impressive.

$1,399 is the Thunderstorm catback price for sport, MagnaFlow catback shows as down from $859 to $636. What is the difference other then the price?

$1,399 is the Thunderstorm catback price for sport, MagnaFlow catback shows as down from $859 to $636. What is the difference other then the price?
Well, it looks like I was looking at dual out but not dual in, dual in Magnaflow costs $913 for sport.

Lots of good info. My concern with the data logging was more for your tuning purposes. I would assume the ecm would account for most of the minor outside changes (fuel, elevation, air density, etc). I would imagine your tunes have hundreds to thousands of hours of reaseach, but as you know every motor can be slightly different. I know some other tuners (fairly big name) were having nasty afr's in some of their tuning that ultimately ended up hurting the motor. Open communication with a tuner is always a good thing lol. I've ridden in a few Eco f1's with your tuning and they've been nothing shy of impressive.

Actually we talk all of those environmental conditions into our tuning logic for you ahead of time :thumbsup:

Well, it looks like I was looking at dual out but not dual in, dual in Magnaflow costs $913 for sport.

Thunderstorm - MF
US made - not US made
304T SS - 403 Chinese aluminized metal
ZERO drone - good luck talking on your phone
A kit that was actually engineered for the XSport - a modified "made to work kit"
Low angle mandrel bends for the highest flow possible - it has bends
Proven results - you get pics of lines on a graph

Sure my last point especially has a little Jeremy Clarkson in it, but it is true nonetheless. There is always a premium that is put on a product that is expertly crafted from superior materials.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

couple of questions......

are the catted downpipes 50 state legal?.... living in the republic of NJ isn't easy when it comes to inspection..

the cat back, now that there are 2 model years with the beauty panels in the rear, could there be an update to the system? I hear ya about US made and all that and I try to live that model when I can, but for that much money we shouldn't have to remove parts when we want to remain looking stock. plus putting a round peg in a rectangular hole never looks good.

if someone has these pipes, either cutback or down pipes or both can you show us what it sounds like in a vid. the ones I found aren't really that good.

finally for the jersey folks... where do you go for installation of your parts. had a shop when I played around with my stang but they moved and also now hearing horror stories about them. I like to get recommendations so I don't bring my cars to hacks, so if you have any please recommend them... Thanks!

Back