• Register Today It's free!

Tuning with a laptop

custexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Allen, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05
What would it take to set it up so you can tune your car with a computer?

If that's not possible, is there a place that will tune your current ecu for better performance?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know the best answer but its really common question, you could start here, with this thread,
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249839
Or try searching on 'custom tune' and start reading, there is no quick answer.

You can get 1 or 2 custom tunes which is rather easy, you have to replace a computer chip in the PCM which has the custom tune already loaded, but my guess it will be over $500 then you have to get the tune or tunes. . . .from what i understand you can select from tunes 1, 2 or 3 tunes by a switch. One may be set for Pure Power with 92 octane, another MPG with 87 octane. .

Now to do your own custom tunes, you will need a laptop, Special Programming software (which by the way is Ford Proprietary, that might run you a couple of thousands of $$$ alone), OBDII reader and connection, a very good understanding of ECU programming, solid understanding of the CAN Protocol, and a few other things . . .ive knew a couple of Ford Eng. from years ago, they usually have Degrees (masters) in Math, or Mechanical engineering or both at least. . .

SCT makes two different laptop based tuning solutions. One is aimed at the enthusiast, one at shops. You'll also need wideband O2 sensor(s) to tune with, so add in another 300-500.

I wouldnt try and tune your truck yourself man. It's pretty involved. Just contact Henson Performance, he can get you setup with a tune.

I wouldnt try and tune your truck yourself man. It's pretty involved. Just contact Henson Performance, he can get you setup with a tune.

I couldn't agree more. Once I sort out datalogging, James is going to tweak a tune for me for the headers. It's running great without the tweaked tune (I'm using the 91 tune he sent me last summer), so I can only imagine how great it will run after I get him the data he's requested. :thumbsup:

To tune yourseld ( as I do ), get the SCT Racer Pro Package with its Advantage III software. But prior to purchasing this, get the knowledge needed to properly tune your vehicle.

Hi guys ,James, at Henson Performance is the guy you need to talk to .He helped me set up 3 different tunes with the SCT His patience and understanding is awesome .That is from the US to Australia .My truck runs now like it should and better before the chip recall because of the roll over problem can't thank him enough

Back