Tuning with my Laptop

Elessar65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 F150 EcoBoost 4x4
My roomate is tuning his '06 STI using his laptop, and cable that'll hook into his ecu on one end and a usb on the other end. I don't know what software he's using, but all the maps and stuff that he got are hacked from a COBB access port (now he basically as an access port for nearly free) that he got from somone on his NASIOC (north american subaru impreza owners club) forum. I was wondering if there's anything out there like that for my X. I can get the details on his software and stuff if anyone out there has a suby.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

might wanna do a search on here there was a thread not too long ago about this very topic.

I you would like to tune yourself SCT has a pro racer package available. If not then I could send you a ExCal2 loaded with tunes. -Jh

racer package

that racer package sounds interesting. I'd have to do a lot of research to make my own maps from scratch though, wouldn't want to blow up the daily driver. Then i'd have to fight my wife for the keys to her stratus, or take the bus. Anyways, i might be interested in that Xcal, whats the deal with that? Also, this is a bit off topic, but SuperSix Motorsports (www.supersixmotorsports.com) has heads and cams for the SOHC motor, anyone know anything about them? I think that the stage 2 heads should be good for about 30-40hp and 25-35lbft with a decent intake exhaust, who knows how much more with proper tuning.

I use sniper tuning software and i love it. I can reflash my own ECM through the OBDII port from my laptop while im sitting in the car. Also comes with realtime datalogging software so i can actually watch whatever parameters i select to watch. Change shift points and rpms at which it shifts. Tire sizes, intakes, MAF's, injectors, forced induction, and etc. I paid around 350 for everything.
Dave

Sniper Tuning is the way to go

wouldnt be surprised at 50+ hp with the stage 2 supersix heads with proper tuning. Then add an remote turbo from STS or make one yourself and you'll have a mean sleeper X. Sucks about the cams, Ive only seen factory regrinds.

True there isn't much of an aftermarket for 4.0L performance cams. However if you can figure out what profile you want, Comp and Crane offer custom grind services.

I have a friend who used Sniper software pretty successfully on his Mustang. The thing about tuning though is the ability to watch A/F ratio while you're making changes to the fuel tables. Get too lean and detonation will give you serious problems. So if you decide to tune on your own, check into getting a wideband A/F ratio meter to install and run so you're safe.

my sniper tuning came with what they call "recon" realtime streaming data that lets you watch your A/F ratio while you are driving on the laptop.

Back