turbo 302? anyone done it? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

turbo 302? anyone done it?

Trouble with flipping mustang or other ford 5.0L manifold for a turbo setup is the explorer steering and HVAC contraints. MOre than likely, custom is only way.

Also, I have only heard of one Explorer V8 with single or twin tubros - it burned to the ground on its maided trip to the drag strip. Appearanly brake fluid leak that hit headers. Only a matter of time. The stock explorer engine bay gets hot, let alone one with two glowing heat sinks (turbos).

I second 410Fortune supercharger is best bet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just thought propane because for me to get a stand alone harness and the sensor package i'm gonna be broke by the time i even start the motor...and propane is simple...people are pretty much giving it away...runs on any angle and as long as you have compression over 10:1 you can get everything you need from it...and ya about the whole turbo idea...thanks alot for everyones input...much appreciated...but from what i can tell its gonna be lots of plumbing and custom making piping to intercooler(which will pack full of mud most likely and not cool) and lots of other stuff and most likely will just be a pain...but doesn't a supercharger also only work once RPM is up quite a bit...the reason i'm trying to figure this all out is becuase i want a motor that has bottom end power...i found a 302 from a 92 mustang and a 289 from the last year they made it both for 150 bucks...so i'm not sure what i should do...i hear the 289 is a sweet motor and i should use it...but what would be the optimal way to build that one?

My twin screw Kenne Bell produces full boost at 1800-2000rpm. Plenty of low end!

What he said: get a positive dispacement supercharger.

Go take a ride in a Lightning, or a 2003+ Mustang Cobra. Good luck.

what kind of supercharger would be my best bet...? think i'm gonna use the 289 for a motor...:)

A 289 would be harder to get in than a 302.

huskyfan23 said:
A 289 would be harder to get in than a 302.

Huh? In what way? They have the same out deminsions and deck height.

Run a search for "302", "supercharger", and "reliablility." There are many many threads about building an engine for supercharging. You will need a strong well built engine, and special engine management work. Good luck,

so i ended up going with the 302...stroked it to a 332...and am gonna run gas...cause its just easier and on the trail if i need fuel i can just dump a jerry can in...and gonna run a c6...a buddy of mine has a supercharger on his mustang he's trying to get rid of...paxton...decent?

They make lots of turbos for your 302. The best are turbonetics turbos. My uncle has an ex with a 600 HP turbonetics 302. If you are offroading with it tho, I would recommend a supercharger.

Explorer Express sells a bolt on one for your explorer.

??? Please send pics of the 600HP turbo explorer. I would love to see it.

Back