turn signal blinks fast, intermittent? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

turn signal blinks fast, intermittent?

Smear

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Expl 4.6L XLT 3.73LS
My 03 explorer has a bit of a minor issue. Sometimes, the left turn signal blinks fast, sometimes it doesn't. I had my brother turn on hazards, brakes headlights etc. when signal was "hyper flashing". When headlights are on, everything looks fine from all around. When i put hazards on, front end of truck flashes on both sides, but only right side flashes in rear. When I put on left flasher, flashes rapidly up front, nothing on rear. I apply brakes, only right side and third brake light illuminates. I thought this was a bulb. after I ordered bulb, it magically starts working again. This has been going on for a month, and I found when it blinks rapidly I can hit the left tail light with my hand and it starts to flash again. Loose connecter? how do i fix it? thanks for everything!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’d pull the connector and blow it out with compressed air.

You can buy the light bulb sockets at most parts stores. I had to in order to fix this issue on my Ex. The plastic piece the bulb goes into was bad.

My temporary fix was to clean its contacts, but it was only temporary, each time.

This may or may not apply to 2002-05 (Gen 3) Explorers. Very common issue with 2001-05 Sport Tracs and 2001-03 Sports is the multi function switch (MFS) connector binding with tilting steering columns. IF you have a tilting column, cycle it all the way up and down several times, leaving it all the way in the UP position. If that helps, the MFS connector or wiring being too short may be the problem.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/Steering_Column_Wiring_Repair_Gen1.pdf

This may or may not apply to 2002-05 (Gen 3) Explorers. Very common issue with 2001-05 Sport Tracs and 2001-03 Sports is the multi function switch (MFS) connector binding with tilting steering columns. IF you have a tilting column, cycle it all the way up and down several times, leaving it all the way in the UP position. If that helps, the MFS connector or wiring being too short may be the problem.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/Steering_Column_Wiring_Repair_Gen1.pdf
I doubt banging the taillight would have any effect of a loose MFS connector

Try this first....

Portalámparas para luces traseras, direccionales y de freno

Now that funny. Not sure why it’s in Spanish here.

3E80C2A6-54EC-4590-AEEF-42D74516A841.jpeg

Back