Turn signal fuse keeps blowing

mr cribb

US Army Retired
Reaction score
City, State
Naylor, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Z71, 89 stepside
Obviously there's an open circuit somewhere, or a loose ground.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Truck has lived on rough county roads for the last year. It has been blowing fuses since September. It only blows the turn signal fuse, nothing else.

Bulbs - good
Combination switch- good
Flasher- good

Ground at drivers side kick panel - good

This is all I have checked.

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am having a upload issue that is being resolved, or I would post a picture of my Ford electrical manual, page 90-1. Is it blowing fuses when you use the turn signals, or immediately after replacing the fuse? Ignition on or off? Is it left or right or both that blows the fuse?

There is only one wire that is hot in run, and it goes through the fuse panel. If it's not that wire shorting, or a ground issue, its probably the stalk itself.

I got the upload issues resolved. Here is the wiring diagram from my 94 Explorer troubleshooting manual. The wiring should be the same, or very close.
Scan00101.jpg

I had this problem on mine.

Turned out to be in the jack storage.

Mine is equipped with the factory tow package relays and was related to these, so if yours does not have the tow package junk, disregard.

My tire iron was causing the short!

Mine did not come equipped from the factory with a tow package but I will look in this area for sure, as I have been in there to remove the factory computer looking thing for the electric transfer case.

I have the plug and play tow harness that is disconnected at the moment.

Although I am pretty sure that my problem lies around the fuse box, because I bumped it earlier (huge feet) when I went to shift and my aftermarket gauges flickered a couple times.

Still an issue.

I did find an old spliced in tow harness that had melted the quick splice, I removed and repaired with new wires.

Fuse blew this morning though.

This is weird for sure.

I have checked all my wires around the light assemblies, and there's no cut or damaged wires.

I have the time off, yet it has been raining for the last 3 days.

I found a link that mentioned checking the wiring harness near the drivers side manifold. The only other place I can think of is the reverse light switch on the transmission and see if that wire has damage.

Supposedly it is going to stop raining today.

I did some looking, and found my transmission wires (backup light and other plug) bundle had singed itself against the drivers side exhaust pipe. I have the harness unplugged and up in the engine bay for the moment, just to see if that is my issue.

I couldn't find any burnt wires, just the plastic covering.

I replaced the fuse, but I haven't driven the X anywhere yet to see if that solved my issues.

Problem solved

The bundle of transmission wires had laid up against the exhaust pipe causing the short.

I have the wiring harness disconnected, and everything works like it is supposed to, as I have put 600 miles or so since disconnecting the harness.

Now when it quits being cold and wet outside, I will look at the bundle to find my shorted wire, until then I have no backup lights.

Back