• Register Today It's free!

Turn signal problem

2longhunt

Reaction score
City, State
Illiniois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac Adrenalin
I need a little help please. When I fully engage my turn signal to the left, the inside dash arrow flashes quickly. The front turn signal also does but the rear bulb does nothing. I checked the rear bulb and both elements were ok. Everything on the passenger side works fine.

When I just hold the turn signal switch part way down, like when you want to pass, it works fine and flashes at normal speed. My fear is that it's the turn signal unit that comes out of the steering column that's the problem. I hate to think what that will cost to replace.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would replace the bulb first since its easy and cheap, also check all fuses

does your brakes turn the light on?

Both of the above were my first thoughts. The fast blink is a warning that you have a taillight out. The steering column also tends to cause issues when in the down position.

As a matter of fact, my left turn signal started blinking rapidly tonight on my way home from work. Got home, checked and as expected, left taillight is out.

I used to have the same problem and the first 2 are also good things to do. It ended up one of the wires between the steering column and te relay was loose. I just took the plastic off the column. Little bit of electrical tape and it was good as new although I eventually crimped the wire better.

The fast blink is a warning that you have a taillight out.
I have driven Ford's my entire life, and my wife and I currently own an 08' Ranger and an 07' Edge. Also, both vehicles have recently had bulbs replaced both front and back. The fast blink indicates a bulb issue, but it doesn't indicate front or back. The only indication is that it is a turn signal issue.

Sorry, I was too specific. You likely have a bulb out. I hope I didn't cause you to only check the taillights.

I took about an hour yesterday to try and figure it out. I have the two shop manuals but find them overwhelming to try and read. The two elements in the rear bulb work. I turned the four way flasher on and all four corners flash fine. The front turn signal works. I tilted the column as suggested and it didn't make a difference. I was told that the four way and turn signal indicator switches are the same. I finally found the box under the dash that I thought both would be in but I think it only contained the turn signal one.

I have a cousin who is a service manager at a Ford dealer and plan on giving him a call today to see if he has any more ideas. I've not pulled any covers off the steering column yet but it may come to that.

Thanks for the suggestions. I hate these types of mysteries. I always tend to replace a bunch of good expensive parts before I find the little cheap bad one. :mad:

i know its a shot in the dark but have you checked all fuses mainly in particular the one that is tow left turn signal the toeing is tapped into the rear lighting so its a chance

Well, that sucks. Sorry to hear it isn't one of the really easy fixes. Let us know how it turns out.

i know its a shot in the dark but have you checked all fuses mainly in particular the one that is tow left turn signal the toeing is tapped into the rear lighting so its a chance

I saw that this had it's own fuse but did not check it. I will though.

Thanks,

Mark

I did some more checking last night and when I fully engage the turn signal switch, I can make it act normal if move the switch back and forth between dim to bright. Sometimes it works in the dim position and sometimes in the bright. So it appears to me that it may be a loose wire or something in the turn signal arm switch.

I will need some time to take the column covers off to try and see if I can find something a miss in there.

Mark

That'd be by guess too. Taking all that stuff off is pretty easy thankfully so maybe this'll be an easy fix after all! :)

Just chatted with my cousin and he thought it was probably a loose connector in the steering column as well. I'll check that out soon.

Thanks for everyone's imput.

Mark

Back