• Register Today It's free!

2003 turn signal problems

zeke392

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac
The wife has an 03 Sport Trac with 57,000 miles. Just recently there has been problems with the left rear turn signal, brake light and emergency flasher not working. The bulb tests good but I found no power in the wire at the socket. I found this forum and found issues with 01 turn signals and a broken wire in the steering column.
Tonight I tore into the steering column and found several loose wires at the multi-functional switch. Specifically, the connector at the hazard switch had some broken clips that hold the wires in, 6 out of 7, to be exact. When you tilt the wheel down, the wires would pull out of the connector because the clips that held them in broke off. Seems that the wire for the left rear turn signal had come completely out of the connector so it quit working all together.
Ford wanted $48.50 for the pigtail harness and it was not in stock. Well, I can rig stuff with the best of them so I cut some small 1/4 pieces of electrical wire and slid them into the connector holding the wires in place. I put it all back together and everything works fine. This all took me about 2 hours, start to finish.
While I was in there, like the message I found in the forum, I found the wires were very tight and I feel this contributed to the problem. I cut loose 2 pieces of tape that secured all the wires and that seemed to free it up some.
I hope this helps somebody as this forum helped me.
Thank you,
Steve

Would you happen to have pictures of the process?

pictures

Sorry Charlie (sorry but I had too), I did not take any pictures. However, the whole process was fairly easy.
Steve

Why do I want a tuna sandwich?

I try to keep my camera with me at all times, but you know it gets left behind sometimes... I blame the wife.;) I still want a tuna sandwich... wonder why?

Back