City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
21 Bronco & 88 Bronco II
What I have is a:

98 4.0L SOHC auto Explorer
90 F150 auto 5.8L
84 T19 4spd.

This combination is going together one way or another. I've decided on two ways to go. Option 1 will probably provide better performance and will let the rig pass smog testing but it far more complicated. Option 2 means I need to find another place to register it to avoid emissions testing. Possible but a pain in the butt. This rig is 90% an offroad toy but I'd like the ability to drive to the trail if I want to or DD it in severe weather conditions.

Option 1:

Pull 98ish 5.0L Explorer harness from junkyard and adapt to 5.8L. The harness should interface with the Explorer without much difficulty, it's been done plenty. The 5.0L harness has also been proven to run a 5.8L with some modifications.

Option 2:

Use the complete F150 wiring harness right down to gauges. Let headache getting it to work initially but it won't pass a OBD2 scan test and the speed density EFI is not desirable for future mods and will have to be upgraded again. I might need a manual F150 ECU to make it behave right.

For this project assume all physical fitment limitations are irrelevant, I'm only concerned with getting it to run. Which route would you guys try for?

I would go with Option 1, use an Explorer 5.0 harness. You'll want the ability to tune it, and OBDII is a lot better to work with for troubleshooting.

Back