Lift options for a 96 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift options for a 96

Roktoy

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I had a question for lifting a 96 8cyl xlt. Ive heard about trailmaster coming out with a 4 inch kit, anyone know when it will be available and the pricing?
the other option is to do the torsen bar 2 inch lift and warrior shackles in the rear, where can i buy these from?
Also does anyone make a body lift for a 96. If body lifts are available, can the explorer run 33x12.5's with 2 inch torsen lift, and 1 or 2 inch body?
Thanks all, i dont have an explorer but finding out some info for a friend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

another question came to mind, with the warrior shackle how much lift does it give? is there a better way to lift the rear, addaleaf? should i raise the rear 2 or 2.5 inches for a level look after the front torsion bar is cranked for 2 inches of lift.

The Trailmaster lift is for 98'-00' Explorers, but sme are planning to try to modify it for 95'-97' Explorers. Another thing about the Trailmaster lift is that they are not making one for the V8's because they only have All Wheel Drive and are not an off road capable vehicle because of this. I believe this information was discovered at Truck Haven. As far as add-a-leafs go, try this link: Dead Link Removed , they can be purchased from Dead Link Removed Body lifts, none made for the 1995-1997 Explorer specifically, but it is possible to modify a Ranger lift, and this is what I believe some people do. With the torsion bar lift, you do not want to go 2 inches, about 1.5 inches is the most ideal, with two inches you may run into problems, especially premature wearing of suspension components. You would need a 3 inch body lift or more to run 33's with offset wheels. Hope this helps! Dead Link Removed

------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV 4x4

Tim:
Just curious if you could go into more detail about the V8's not being off road capable. I did a search for Truck Haven but could not find anything referencing this. Thanks.

Brock Banks
96 Explorer XLT V8
banbro@heartlandtel.com

First off, I would like to be the first to say welcome to the site! Dead Link Removed The reference to the V8 was about the fact that thay are All-Wheel Drive, and because they do not have 4 wd low range (For "offroad"), Trailmaster wasn't going to make a lift applicable to the V8's. I think it was Rick that mentioned this on one of the Truck Haven posts if I remember correctly, but I haven't been able to find it. I do not see how the suspension between the V8 Explorers are different from the V6's, but this is what I had heard.

Rick, is my memory serving me correctly or am I just pulling things out of thin air?! Tell me I'm not going crazy!? Dead Link Removed

------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV 4x4

Ok In reference to the Trailmaster lift option....I had one done at Mercer Spring and Coil in Trenton NJ... its not really a lift option like all others... what it is is a new heavy duty torsion that can be raised as much as 4" .. which I did..it looks great...I don't know exactly how it will do offroad yet ok the rear is the same old same old add a leafs..anyhow..I had to disable my airbags ..it looks great.I did some wheeling but nothing major yet..so it is still to be determined btw...it cost me 785. for the total...

1996 Explorer EB 4x4 4.0 OHV
BF GoodRich 32/10.50/15" A/T KO's
Skid plates
4" custom front suspension lift
5" rear add a leafs
now lets see what she'll do in the mud...Im sick of sand!!

[This message has been edited by ExplorerEB96 (edited 02-26-2000).]

Are there drop down brackets in the front? Sounds like there'd have to be. I'd been thinking about this a lot. If you have the 95-97 why not just put in the front drop downs, and see if you can get away w/ not lowering the back mounts of the torsion bar mounts. Just bend the heck out of 'em or have new ones made (is that feasable?). Now for a question to ExplorerEB96: For the rear lift, did you have a spring over done? That really sounds like the best possible way to go. Keep every thing you have, just have new shock mounts made and you get 4-6 inches of lift AND you get all that crap out from under your axle. That's gotta be a few inches of clearance. It just make too much sense to me, or am I missing some thing? BTW I live in north Jersey (Parsippany) and from what I've heard lately this Mercer Spring place has been raved about. Would it be in my best interest to check them out? There are a few places up here that I've heard of, maybe they can talk to the people at Mercer? Now I'm rambling. Any way let's keep this post going, maybe all us 95+ owners will finally able to keep up w/ you big guys!!

------------------
John '95 XLT

Well, I didn't want to wait so I called information to get Mercer's phone number and gave them a call.

I don't think they lifted it a full 4". My guess would be that they installed some "B" bars, cranked 'em up, readjusted camber, and put on the add-a-leafs. I would like to ask ExplorerEB96 if she measured her Explorer's height before and after the job. I have a strong feeling she got a 2" lift.

We're right back where we started waiting for a lift again.....

Rats. ExplorerEB96, if I'm wrong, please let us know. The guys at Mercer didn't own up to doing a 4" lift, at least on the phone.

ExplorerEB96,
Sounds interesting. Do you have pictures of the truck and/or front suspension? How did they get around the axle/bearing/CV angles? At max twist (2"+) I can hear my bearings protesting. How are the street ride and off road rebound characteristics? Feel free to E-mail me!
Thanks,
Rick

------------------
Rick
95 Explorer Sport Expedition
Dead Link Removed

You are right! they really thought they had something ...they thought they could get me at least a 3 1/2" clearance suspension ( it had been lowered before I wasnt an original owner)... they gave me 2" with another 2" body lift...had add a leafs in the rear
All I intended to tell you was that they are working on something custom for the 96's but they also want to make it legal also... yes these guys are the best..

While on the subject of lifting a 96", I have some questions concerning the Torsion twist lift, (sounds like a mixed drink or a 50's dance)? I was asking a local shop about doing this and they told me it was not recommeded due to the fact that you will lose your front end alignment capabilities and therefore cause problems for your vehicle.

Is this information correct? And how safe is it to do this lift? This is coming from a person who said he will never lift his truck.
I believe I caught some kind of bug from this site. I really need to know these answers. Thanks in advance.

------------------
RobertC
96' XLT V-6 4X4 4 Dr
Bosch +4's and Splitfire Dual core wires
85/100 watt Headlights Behind Carbon fiber Headlight covers
K & N Drop in filter

[This message has been edited by RobertC (edited 03-04-2000).]

RobertC,
As long as you don't over twist the bars you should not have any problems. I've had mine twisted for quite some time now, and everything is OK. I took it to the shop the minute I twisted the bars, and the alignment was perfect. So, go for it!

Everyone:
In reference to the 4" lift, look into the '98 Ranger Superlift conversion. It has been done, a shop by my area does it. They charge $2,000 though. I'd rather wait, get the Trailmaster kit, buy '98 T-bar mounts and have a solid work done that was designed for my truck. (and save some $$)

I think at this point we only need to be patient for a few weeks! (Trailmaster promissed April)

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD 5spd
Warrior Twist
www.explorer4x4.com/thaven_juan.jpg

tell me every thing you know about the body lift i am going to do it in a month or two and need some info on what needs to be done and modified

Ha Ha Ha,
I think we have another one ready for the 12 step program soon. Gerald, wait until he raises it, then he will be hooked forever.( lightening strikes, Ray looks up and laughs an evil laugh.) Dead Link Removed The subliminal messages are working. He will soon spend all his money and time on modifying his
Explorer and on this website. Dead Link Removed
Hey Robertc, Like Juan and Gerald said, It's OK as long as you don't go over 2", then the angle is too radical for the CV joints and you get binding. A note on this is it also depends on the indivual truck. Some have gone the full 2", but I could not. I could hear the squeaking so I turned it down to 1.5". I also took it in for an alignment check, but didn't need one.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Juan Felsman

You said something about '98 T-bar mounts and the '98 Trailmaster Kit? Has anyone done this on '95-'97s?

------------------
'95 4x4 2dr
31x9.5x15's on 15x7's
K&N

Nate,
What Juan is talking about is the rear torsion bar mounts and adjusting mechanisms from a 98-00 Explorer. In order to get the 4" Trailmaster lift to work on your 95-97 Explorer, you must use the 98-00 torsion bar mounts and adjusting mechanisms with it. We believe that this is what needs to be done to get the lift to work on 95-97 Explorers. As soon as the damn things come out, we'll let you know. There's a few other things that need to be done, but like I said, as soon as I can get my hands on the lift, I'll find out exactly what needs to be done on it.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

Back