cherrybomb

Reaction score
City, State
Southern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 5.0L (R.I.P)
Hey All,

Edit: My truck is a 2wd 4 door. :)

So, initially, I thought I'd just go with the EE "X-Spec" suspension, and be done with it. However, after more research, and some soul searching, I think I might want to do something a little different.

First, my goal for my truck, is a performance oriented daily driver. I want it to handle as well as possible, and be comfortable enough to drive on a daily basis. I know that the EE kit will provide this, but I'm wondering if I can get "more" out of a more custom job.

So remember, performance first, comfort second, asthetics is third.

I already know I'd like to eventually do a parallel 4-link in the rear, so I'm confident I have the rear handled. That just leaves the front.

So, the possibilities I've come up with for the front suspension are as follows, listed in approximate cost order, including some pros and cons.

* Chassistech.com upper and lower control arms for torsion bar explorer Linkage
Pros:
- Appears to be a bolt on kit, which should give me 2" in the front
- Can re-use all other hardware and parts
Cons:
- Doesn't really address the increased angle of the tie-rods. Could cause bump-steer?
- I haven't seen anyone use them.
- I've heard time and time again on this board that control arms don't exist for the explorer, which means chassistech is either lieing, or their product is so bad, members here treat it as though it doesn't exist.
- Horror stories of dealing with chassistech from this board.

* DJM upper and lower control arms for coil sprung 98+ ranger. Either custom spring bucket, or coilovers as springs.
Pros:
- Ditch the Torsion Bars!
- DJM seems to have a good reputation.
- Arms (should) just bolt on-to my frame
- Some flexibility for more drop later if I want it
Cons:
- Not a total bolt on solution, gotta figure out what type of spring to use, and how.
- Doesn't really address the increased angle of the tie-rods. Could cause bump-steer?

* DJM Expedition/F-150 Drop spindle?
Pros:
- Should give me 2" lowering, and keep all other geometry the same, including tie-rods.
- Gives me lots more "big-brake" options from the expedition
Cons:
- No clue if it would actually work, the spindles "appear" to be the same, though I know the expedition hub is a 6 bolt pattern. Would have to see if I could bolt the explorer hub onto the expedition spindle.
- Possible machine work required to make everything fit.
- REQUIRES a custom brake setup, at least the rotors to match the 5 x 4.5" explorer pattern, but go into an expedition, or aftermarket rotor. Could also be a pro, in that I want better brakes any-how.

* Mustang II IFS
Pros:
- Proven design
- Lots of flexibility, could easily go air down the road, more or less drop etc.
- Geometry is "perfect" for my ride height cause I install it at the height I want it
Cons:
- Lots of work, and money
- Seems like a near duplication of the existing suspension, just higher, and with more bolt-on options.
- Any brake system over 11" is REALLY pricey
- Brake rotors bolt directly to the spindle, as the hub, rather than attaching to an existing hub like the stock Explorer setup, would like to avoid that.

I'm sure there are other options, but these are a few I've done a fair amount of research into.

Any thoughts here?

Would I start hitting some diminishing returns going beyond the X-Spec kit as far as handling and comfort are concerned? In other words, will doing something a little more over the top like this, really give me a truck that handles "a lot" better than a truck that just turns down the torsion bars a bit, and puts a little block in the back?

Please, your thoughts are valueable!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I know.. a stock F150 spindle is three inches taller than a stock Explorer one. They do look very similar though.

jtsmith said:
I thought yours was AWD?
Wrong
I must say, the EE kit dramatically improved the handling of my truck.
Yeah, it's a 2WD, but looks like you figured that out. ;)

I keep hearing that about the EE kit, obviously from members on this board.

I keep deciding to just buy that, and if I think I want more, then upgrade to something else. But every time I do, this little voice in the back of my head says "do it right the first time".

Problem is, I'm not sure that just the EE kit isn't "doing it right". Ahh the conflict!

section525 said:
From what I know.. a stock F150 spindle is three inches taller than a stock Explorer one. They do look very similar though.
Ahh. Well that sheds some light on that. I was going to try to go to a dealership or something, and see if I could get some measurements of both. Sounds like that option probably wouldn't work then.

Bummer, but thanks! :)

Dude, go stangII and do it right from the gitgo. No one on here talks about the chassistech arms because they are fairly new... they werent around back in the heyday of the sport truck forum. Its hit or miss with them... well if you've ever heard anything about aim or chassistech then you know what im talking about. F150 spindles are a no go since they are eleventy six feet tall and would spread your arms out too much that is IF the balljoints would even fit them. You would be better researching 94-04 stang spindles.

how much are the chassistech upper arms?

james t said:
F150 spindles are a no go since they are eleventy six feet tall .

Is that some new TX/AR measurement or have you been sniffing tire glue too much :confused:

wow- well yeah, not gonna buy those.

i was thinking of making myself some sometime soon and that those might be a cheap starting point at worst (and a solution at best).

i hate that company so much i dont' know why i thought about it as long as i did.

Chassis Tech arms - don't do it

DJM Ranger arms - i wish that would work but it can't. assuming that they would bolt right up (which is assuming alot) you would still have to fabricate the upper coil and shock mounts. not to mention i seriously doubt the DJM lower arm is designed to handle that much weight. remember your Explorer is already heavier than the Ranger and i see you have the 5.0 V8 which is a pretty hefty engine.

Expedition/F-150 spindle - not going to work

Mustang II IFS - can be made to work but you could damn near buy a brand new Explorer for what it's going to cost after it's all said and done. plus you would have to find a shop willing to take on such a project (unless you would be doing the work yourself)

your diminishing returns theory seems correct to me. it sucks that there are no good options for dropping the 95-01 Explorers but oh well...what can ya do. it's a either a torsion twist or bags and not much in between.

Back