• Register Today It's free!

Tyre Confusion

roly123987

Reaction score
City, State
Deeside, North Wales
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99
Hi Guys, I'm looking out for some new tyres for the EX. There appears to be some confusion from the tyre dealers about the correct size, they are quoting 235/70S16, 245/65S17 and 235/75S15. The rims on my truck are 16" so only 235/70S16 would fit.

Here is where the confusion starts, the tyres fitted are 225/70/16 Pirelli scorpion AT but the steel spare is 255/70/16 Firestone adventurer AT. I have no intention of using the spare as it's probably one of the ones that should have been recalled this makes me think it was the origional spare and therefore the correct size. I have trawled the forum and a lot of people are using this size (255/70/16) so can anyone tell me the correct size that should be fitted (can't find any sticker on door pillar etc like on most cars that gives this info).

Also, anyone have any idea why 225's would have been fitted before I purchased it, as these make the spedo read low due to them being a smaller diameter?

Lastly, any reccomendations for tyre brand, I am pleased with both wet and dry grip from the Pirelli's, would I be dissapointed with BFG's wet capability (I want the car to be as stable in the wet as the wife often uses it to ferry the kids around).

Thanks
Roly

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

255*70*16 is the standard size fitted in the UK. I guess they put smaller ones on because of the cost. I used to have 255*70*16 Goodyear Wranglers but when they eventually wore out after 50k miles I went with Bridgestone Duelers 694's . I also upped the size to 265*75*16 but that is personal preference. I would not go smaller than 255*70*16 but you can go up to 275*70*16 on the standard rims.

Thanks for that Howard, Any issues with rubbing or catching with the 694's on a 265*70*16? How are they in the wet in relation to the Goodyear Wranglers (I've had them on my Vauxhall Monterey and they were pretty good in the wet but I've just replaced them with Bridgestone Dueler H/T 689 on the rear as they had the Goodyears on back order and they were a little to low on tread to wait; so far they appear fine but not driven the Monterey in the wet since fitting - much prefer driving the EX as does the wife unfortunatly!)?

There is slight rubbing so I would stick to 255*70*16's. As for grip. I am very happy both in the dry and wet and even mud. :D

Hi Roly.
I've just had two TOYO open country H/T fitted to the rear of my Ex. The size is 255/70/16. They cost £90 each. I was told they hold the land speed record for a 4X4!!!! They look good with the white wall lettering but you can have them reversed to just a normal looking black wall as they are not directional. Kev.

If it's any help I've got 265/65 r 16 BFG AT's on mine and I have no complaints dry, wet or mud they haven't let go yet!

Cost £420 all in for 4 from ATS (only place that had them in stock) and they seem like they'll last forever - done about 8000 on them now and there are still some of the little bits of the moulding rubber left on them!!

HTH

Cheers

Carl

colway,

mines fitted with 255/70 R16 colway AT
and drives nice loads of grip £75 each fitted ;)

Back