• Register Today It's free!

U Joint?

dykzeulb

Reaction score
City, State
KANSAS CITY MISSOURI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lol...Not a big help but we are getting some where..

Well wait. Are you looking for u joints in the front axle shaft, front drive shaft, or rear drive shaft? And you may not want grease fittings on them..I prefer sealed to keep the crap out.

Regardless of which shaft needs the u-joint replaced, I would go with a lifetime warranty, NON-greasable one (if available), as they tend to be a bit stronger and like ericautopart said they keep the dirt out.

I need u joints for the rear shaft, maybe the front axle shafts too? I dotn know I removed the front shaft when the transfer case ate ****, so it stays in 2 wheel drive, but would it still need axle shaft? I replaced the wheel bearing not too long ago.. Autozone and oreilys both have no clue which ones I need..

I don't believe you need to replace the axle shaft u-joints if you can't use the 4x4. You need rear driveshaft u-joints for an automatic transmission. Autozone doesn't list any for an auto trans, and Hollander says the manual and auto drive shafts are different, so maybe the u-joints are different too. I would have assumed that the shafts and joints would be the same.

Hmm...so no one knows where or how to obtain a U Joint for my exploder?

There is nothing special about it.. You just go to the parts store and get the u-joints for an explorer. If they ask, its a dana 35 up front. Its your choice as to how expensive of ones you get and wether or not to get greasable.

Personally, I like greasable ones, and I try to only buy spicer brand if possible.

~Mark

Who carries spicer?

Not sure how you figure dirt gets in the u joint with the grease able units. Only way dirt would get in is if you dont wipe off the nipple before you grease it. Sealed units use to fail way to often for me. once i replaced it with a greaseable unit i have never had one fail. Note that I do all my own maintnance. I took my truck once for an oil lube filter during the winter.i watched the guy work onthe truck. when he was done and the were going to charge me the full price i had asked what the cost of the oil change was. I mentioned how the sign said oil n lube and the guy never touched my ball joint or drive shaft. He explained they were not serviceable. I chuckled and said you better put it back on the joist and look then, I didnt let him know i replaced all the ball joints and u joints with serviceable units. Darn rookies.. yet i was younger than all his staff.

just my 2 cents..

Cheers and happy long weekend all.

Back