Rear shocks. Anyone tried/seen these? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear shocks. Anyone tried/seen these?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have similar ones like that on my 2000 XLS in the rear.. they work great!

Yes, I use them(actually mine are Monroe Sensatrac load levelers, but they look exactly the same). And whoever had my explorer before had them put on too. They work really well, and I don't have that much sag in my rear end and I even have the monoleafs. :thumbsup:

BTW: Order you shocks at shockwarehouse.com, a lot cheaper. :)

I have these

you can mount the valve in one of the unused holes in the rear wheel wells then you dont have to go under the truck to adjust the ride height

Thanks

Thanks Mark, Here's the Monroe Loadleveler for the 95-01 Explorer:
1999 Ford Explorer Loadleveler shock.

Just use the discount code "explorer5" for 5% off.

Cheers!
How do they ride though? I've heard the loadlevelers rode much more stiffer than air shocks or normal ones like Reflex? I was going to get the Max-air adjustables to help with rear sagging and they get excellent reviews for ride quality as well.

Cool for the discount, going to pry order two new Reflex for the front and air shocks for the rear

They ride a little stiffer but still comfortable enough for everyday driving. :thumbsup:

Not a fan and wouldn't recommend them. They transfer the weight-carrying loads from the rear of the truck to the shock mounts instead of the sprint mounts. The mounts on our trucks were designed to connect the dampers to, not carry suspension loads.

Not a fan and wouldn't recommend them. They transfer the weight-carrying loads from the rear of the truck to the shock mounts instead of the sprint mounts. The mounts on our trucks were designed to connect the dampers to, not carry suspension loads.
Whats the difference between that and any normal shock like Monroe Reflex? Plenty of trucks use help shocks or air shocks in placements of the stockers to level the ride when towing/carrying heavier loads no problem. Reflex helped a bit with sag so wouldn't that apply then.... I don't see issue with air-shocks or helper springs like the levelers. Only negative I heard on the levelers was they rode stiffer.

Does anyone have any input or experience using any of the following? I'm leaning toward the KYB Monomax or Rancho 5000

Rancho 5000

Bilstein HD

KYB Monomax

KYB GR2

Trailmaster

ProComp

Whats the difference between that and any normal shock like Monroe Reflex? Plenty of trucks use help shocks or air shocks in placements of the stockers to level the ride when towing/carrying heavier loads no problem. Reflex helped a bit with sag so wouldn't that apply then.... I don't see issue with air-shocks or helper springs like the levelers. Only negative I heard on the levelers was they rode stiffer.

I guess a hundred-thousand lemmings a year can't be wrong, can they?

The Explorer is not one of those vehicles designed to transfer the weight carrying loads to the shock mounts. Yes, in *some* vehicles they are, but the Ex was not one of them. *Some* vehicles can withstand *some* extra froce on the shock mounts for *some* period of time, but that doesn't mean they were ever designed with those additional loads in mind.

Does anyone have any input or experience using any of the following? I'm leaning toward the KYB Monomax or Rancho 5000

Rancho 5000

Bilstein HD

KYB Monomax

KYB GR2

Trailmaster

ProComp

The Rancho 5000s aren't any better than the RSX's IMHO. I'm currently running the KYB MonoMax's on my F150 and love 'em (and I've contemplated putting them on the Explorer too). I'm not a fan of the SensaTracs but some people here love 'em.

The Explorer is not one of those vehicles designed to transfer the weight carrying loads to the shock mounts. Yes, in *some* vehicles they are, but the Ex was not one of them. *Some* vehicles can withstand *some* extra froce on the shock mounts for *some* period of time, but that doesn't mean they were ever designed with those additional loads in mind.

The Rancho 5000s aren't any better than the RSX's IMHO. I'm currently running the KYB MonoMax's on my F150 and love 'em (and I've contemplated putting them on the Explorer too). I'm not a fan of the SensaTracs but some people here love 'em.
What's an RSX? I did not see that one. Is it a Rancho too?

been there , done that, not advised, my shock mount was a pretzel after them, it helped with a trailer, but like posted, the back end of an Ex was not made for that , pushed my bent metal cross member right up to the floor, i had a heck of a time getting it back to proper after that,

What's an RSX? I did not see that one. Is it a Rancho too?

I believe they discontinued them a couple of years ago... IIRC, it was comparable to the 5000 series, or maybe a step below them. They didn't last anyways...

I get what your saying, I can see that happening when carrying/towing heavy loads as that would put a lot of stress on the mounts compared to normal un-ladden driving. I'm just using air-shocks in the rear to level out the stock height for the little rear sag on the drivers side. I don't tow or carry heavy loads.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back