• Register Today It's free!

U-joints?

burgo

Reaction score
City, State
Lethbridge, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport
My 97 sport is giving me some greif as of lately. I am getting a banging sound from the drive line, sounds like it might be coming from the rear at some times, other times I think it is coming from the tranny area. My diff fluids are good, and recently changed, and my tranny fluid is also, aside from the change. Could it be a u-joint? How can I check if it is? I don't think my transmission is slipping, I just keep getting this clunk sound while cruising along streets or highways, and not when I am going over pot holes or anything. Any ideas on where to start looking?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

U-Joint sound like a very good start

next might actually be your exhaust line, thats a likely canidate.

Does it happen when starting and stopping?..If so you might want to grease the slip-yoke spline on the rear drive shaft. I was getting a clunk at stop signs and members in here steered me the right way.

No, it doesn't seem to be when stopping or taking off, just when cruising along. It doesn't happen when the tranny is shifting either, so I am hoping that means my tranny isn't crapping out on me either. Any other suggestions?

Just my 2 cents.. I developed a vibration that kept getting worse and worse and only under acceleration.. Take foot off gas and almost went away.. U joints changed yesterday and problem solved.

Hope that's your issue as it's relatively cheap to fix. (20-30 bux for 2 u joints and at most $100 labor.. unless you have air tools to help get the bolts of easily (or more patience that I did on this one!)..

Johnny K

Back